Would you buy a puppy if...

when i enquired into getting a resuce dog i was told no on the basis of having a child.. and no for having a cat because i live to close to a road.. i think these places make a rod for their back!

anyway, the mum is likely protective this is normal, because of this it isn't uncommon for you to sometimes be invited to meet the mum whilst she is pregnant/before she is pregnant (if u are on a waiting list) as they can get a bit moody and let them selves down when the babies are about... understandably tho x

I had a child when I got my second dog and had cats and lived near a road and the checked out my house, long as it had an enclosed back yard and a bed they where happy. Sounds like a crap home that arnt doing good at rehoming if they hold it against people for having kids and other pets. :growlmad:

Tattie was refused a rescue dog on the grounds that she had young children as well ... from several different rescue homes :shrug:

I definitely wouldn't be put off by the Mother dog's initial suspicion ... it's notmal for them to be protective to a degree and she didn't growl or snarl :thumbup:

I would get a dog from a rescue home as well but the question was would the mums behaviour put me off and no it wouldn't. Just sounds like an over protective mum to me x

As what I like to think is a responsible and reputable breeder, heavily involved with 'my' breed and dogs in general, no I wouldn't.

It sounds really odd to have a 'top' behaviourist to assess your dog to say they are suitable to breed from, there is so much more to it than that and I don't think the breeder sounds a responsible one, based on what you have said, despite the health tests. (I would also want to see proof of these and that they had acceptable results, although more and more puppy farmers and BYB's are doing health tests because buyers are becoming more clued up on how to find a decent breeder. For the same reason, puppy farmers are placing litters in homes to try and trick buyers) :nope:

It is NOT normal behaviour for a bitch with a good temprement to be defensive around her litter and if she is then either her temprement isn't as good as it is supposed to be or the breeder is doing something wrong.

As for whether people buying puppies contribute to the rescue situation, of course they do! Almost all dogs in rescue were irresponsibly bred and if there was no market for them then the 'breeders' wouldn't bother any more, would they?

I do believe people should have the right to buy a puppy if they want to, but they absolutely should go to a good breeder, who sadly, are few and far between. Puppies are also frequently available in rescue centres, but not many people seem to know this. There are also lots of rescues that will consider indivudual circumstances and not have an automatic 'blanket ban' on those with children. However, their prioriry has to be the dogs and statistically homes with babies or young children are some of the most likely to rehome dogs.

I would buy one, it sounds like the mum was on her guard initially because she was protecting her litter.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->