Would you buy used baby items?

jtr2803

Reaction score
Over the past few weeks I've been browsing nursery furniture, prams, highchairs etc and some of the prices are crazy!

I'm a frugal person by nature and really have no issues with buying used items as long as they are in good condition and well cared for. Just browsing items within five miles I reckon I could buy almost everything for a few hundred pounds (including a nursing/rocking chair that I've fallen in love with!).

I think the only things I've read that probably should be bought new are car seats and bedding?

What are your plans?

New mattress for the cot is a must because of SIDS etc.. We had loads given to us inc cot with our first so this time round when pg id like to
buy a new pram set, but other than that, it saves a small fortune! ��

We bought the crib and car seats new, but shop secondhand for other things if we find a good bargain. Clothes especially! They outgrow them so quick, and stain easily, and I can find like new pieces for a $1 pop.

The car seats are the only real piece spend a lot on, otherwise we got the crib/changing table for around $125 at Walmart. Almost everything we've gotten will be used for the next, so averaging it out what we've spent on necessities has been cheap! It's the toys and other spoiling that gets us. :haha:

Yes I would buy second hand but new cot and mattress as you can get them so cheap anyway here and new car seat. Ebay will be great for bargains. I would love a vintage rocking chair, going to borrow some items too from family to help. Would you go to charity shops?

I'd consider everything! They often have nct nearly new sales here as well and I think they could be quite good. It wouldn't hurt to look anyway!

The only friend I have who has had a baby is now trying for her second so we don't have much in the way of hand me downs here. I know both sets if grandparents would want to help though :thumbup:

I think I'd rather spend the money on things like scans, hypno birthing classes....maybe a doula to enhance the whole experience cos I sure as hell won't remember the 'stuff' we bought but I'm pretty sure I'll remember the pregnancy, birth and bonding experience :happydance:

We bought all new for our eldest, but I would (and did for my second) use second hand, the only things I would refuse to buy second hand would be car seat and I would buy a brand new mattress per child. You need to be 100% certain a car seat has come from where it is supposed to have done and hasn't been in any accidents, think they expire too, and a clean mattress is important to reduce SIDS so I wouldnt reuse between children.

Other than that anything else can be cleaned, I quite often buy second hand clothes bundles.

I like to live very frugally and only plan on buying a car seat, crib, and bedding brand new. Also some small things that would be just weird to buy used like teethers etc. Things like stroller and high chair it depends on the condition because I don't want to buy something that would be unsafe.

Things like swings and bouncers I definitely want to buy used (I'm hoping the padding is washable) because I don't want to spend a fortune and then find that my baby hates the thing! :haha:

Absolutely! I am very thrifty and love to shop used. I will probably buy the furniture used because you can get like-new expensive stuff for the same price as the iKea junk new. I actually want to reprint the furniture a cool color like blue or grey and would never do that with new stuff, but would definitely repurpose used stuff.

Car seat will be new, and probably stroller because...upholstery, I have a thing about soft stuff needing to be new. But I want to find a used jogging stroller because those things are expensive!

I bought all new for my daughter - I feel very weird about used clothing or toys - I will reuse it all for the next one, so I feel it was a good deal, the only "big ticket" item I will have to buy when new baby comes is a double stroller - mine is great but doesn't convert :( So maybe I will consider a used one (There is a stroller spa nearby and they take off the upholstery and sanitize it so im ok with that...)

I have and would buy outdoor type toys (like we bought a wooden playhouse secondhand for our daughter and got a great deal on it). I wouldn't buy clothes or bedding/mattresses secondhand or obviously a car seat. We did buy a secondhand wardrobe for our nursery and the rocking chair was from my mum (it was what she used in my nursery when I was little). The cot bed was a gift from MIL. I wouldn't buy a secondhand pushchair personally as at least ours has taken a real beating and I can't see buying one in that condition, even if it's claimed to be in good condition. There will definitely be wear and tear and for something like that, I think you get better value for money buying new, as it's something that will get a lot of use. I would buy wraps or carriers secondhand though as they are a lot harder to damage. Other than that, they really don't need much. You can get away without buying a ton of toys if you want to be frugal. You would be amazed what you can find around the house or outside that is a great plaything and that you already own/is free. And a lot of the gadgety things are totally unnecessary and you can get by without them. So yes, furniture, if it was in good shape, I would, but probably not much else, particularly if you want to have more children in the future as it might work out to be cheaper just to buy things new that will last until you don't need them anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"