Would you do this whilst pregnant?

hanni

Reaction score
I've agreed to do a boxing day dip for charity. It's basically running into the freezing cold sea on boxing day and getting sponsored to do so. It's likely to be between 0-10°C and the sea will be even colder!

Am I ok to do it whist pregnant? Would you?
Sorry if this is a really silly question.

I don't think it's a silly question, certainly one to give some thought though. I am not sure I would personally, but I don't really think there would be any risk to the baby but perhaps if you got a cold or flu afterwards, coupled with pregnancy symptoms you might regret it.

I would imagine if you're just running in and running out the worst that could happen is you feel very cold and uncomforatble! maybe as babydustcass said, you may get a cold after but I can't see how it would be harmful to baby but I may be wrong. Good luck with it! I was by the sea yesterday and it scares the hell out of me haha xx

Cor eck, not sure if do that even if I wasn't pregnant! Good for you for doing it, hope it's for a good cause :flower:

Maybe check with your GP or midwife, see what they say to it x

I wouldn't, just because I'd be worried about what the shock of the cold water could do to my body. But definitely check with your medical provider for sure!

I would definitely not do it while pregnant. However, I would be calling my doctor about this if I really wanted to do it.

If it was me i wouldnt do it i hate the cold and would be worried about the shock of the freezing water

I agree, I wouldn't do it personally. You'll be just starting morning sickness then too and probably won't really feel up for it at all.

call your doctor. I'm pretty sure any sudden change to body temp can harm the baby but i could be wrong. not only that but yours getting yourself sick afterwards which wouldn't e good for baby. I'm probably overly cautious, and women have been having babies since the beginning of time, and some of those women live in norway and alaska and have probably gotten in the freezing cold water but its not something i would do

I would probably still do it. A cold or flu is a virus and can't be caught from cold water.

I would check with your midwife first but if she gave you the go ahead then I still would as long as it's something you want to do. Like Minties said a cold or the flu is a virus and even so I've never been told that a cold can an affect on baby :shrug: I think I've had one in every pregnancy so far. Good luck :)

I wouldn't. I don't know much about being too cold while pregnant but I do know you're not supposed to use a hot tub because of the heat. I would imagine the same goes for being too cold. I'd check with the doctor at the very least.

I asked my OBGYN if it was ok to take "ice baths" (I'm very athletic and took these to soothe sore muscles)....my dr advised against it very strongly.

He said submerging your body into water below average cold water from faucet will cause a spike in Blood pressure, heart rate, affect blood vessels, and your heart. He said its basically playing Russian Roulette.

I personally would say to forgo this activity. good luck!

I think it would depend on your physical condition. Do you regularly go all out? Then your body is used to handling increased heart rate, adrenaline rush, and whatever...I dint think you get undercooled from a quick dip, so I'm sure that's okay. It's just the instant physical response that would worry me.
If you're OK with that, then go for it.
Doctors are pretty cautious, so I wld think (s)he'll tell you to hold of, but I doubt there is scientific evidence to support his/her claim.

Your call! Keep us informed! I'd like to know if you'll do it!

Thanks so much for your replies ladies! I'll no doubt have an appointment soon so i'll ask the Dr then.
It makes sense what Kimmie said about heart rate and blood pressure, one of my concerns was the adrenelin rush and the effects of it. Plus it will be bloody freezing and who wants to be cold whilst pregnant 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->