Would you leave baby?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by 2nd time mum, Apr 18, 2009.

1. 2nd time mum

2nd time mum Well-Known Member

Hi ladies

I am wondering about this one because yet again it is causing a few probs in my house. I sometimes think OH lives on another planet, or maybe it's me, right enough, anyway -

My OH cousin is getting married in August. Because of the amount of cousins etc. him and his wife to be decided that all cousins can only attend the wedding at night and no kids allowed. This is their choice which I totally accept. I am planning to breastfeed this wee one. The wedding is actually down in the borders of Scotland and from our home is about a 3 hour drive (one way) so we would have to stay over. I am not keen on it at all. If baby is born at due date it will only be about 8/10 weeks old and I feel that is far too young to leave with someone more so with the distance etc. aswell.

Would you agree with me or OH?

2. lisac25

lisac25 mum to 2 beautiful girls♥

i would sooooooo not leave bubs, just my personel opp, i have a similar situation have a wedding to go to in aug so bubs will only be about 2 months old, they dont want kids there during the day, but have said we can for the eve do, and said to us ohhh its ok u can leave baby and then go and get them later, my reply was noooooooooo i just wont attent the day time see u there for the eve lol. your baby your perogative, do whats right for u hun x

3. snettyb

snettyb Well-Known Member

Its up to you hun and whatever you feel comfortable with. I left my son overnight with my parents when he was six or seven weeks old to go to an overnight do, i did feel bad about it and i fretted for him but he was fine and slept all night for the first time ever and coninued to do so after that :)
    Do whatever you feel is right xx

4. leighbaby

leighbaby yummy mummy

Same problem - Bubs could potentially be only two weeks old when my OH's brother gets married. So unsure what to do - but think if I leave bubs - will be for ceremony only. No kids allowed to any of it, so guess my choice is leave bub or don'r go. X

5. kiki

kiki Mum to Kirsty and Caidan

It would depend on who bubs is being left with for me. I would and will have no hesitation in leaving Caidan with either my mum, mother in law or my fiance's sister from around 4 weeks old.

But, that's me. That doesnt mean it's right for you hon. Only you know that and I am sure you will make the right decision for you and LO.

xxx

6. Laura--x

Laura--x Guest

I couldn't do it,not that far away. But its completely up to you and how comfortable you feel x

7. Nibblenic

Nibblenic Well-Known Member

I wouldnt do it. We supossedly have a wedding to go to 40mins down the rd, 4 weeks after LO is born. Currently Im not planning to go, OH still thinks its down as 'wait and see' but naaaaah!

8. Pippin

Pippin Sam and Adélie-Rose's Mum

Sorry to butt in from second ti but I had no children at our wedding (which upset my own cousin whoops they still don't talk to us) just because it was at my parents house and they have big ponds and little standing room by the small ponds. Anyway if my cousin/friend/family member had only just had their baby I really wouldn't have minded them bringing it as it's so small, it can't fall in the pond or get under peoples feet as it can't walk yet. So how about you ask them if you can bring lo and see what they say. It's not like your baby will be a toddler running around under people or falling in ponds :dohh:. You could just go for a few hours and then you'll feel included to. x

9. BumbleBump

BumbleBump Mummy to 3 girlies!

Personally, I'd leave my LO overnight at that age - but only with OHs Dad and Stepmum, noone else (they've taken our LO since she was a baby and I completely trust them and only them!) and only if it was someone who I would really regret not going to the event for. It would also depend on if I was expressing successfully by then and LO was taking both bottle and breast.

If it was in the situation you said, where there are so many cousins they are only inviting you for the evening do, I'd most likely pass. You should do whatever you feel is best for you and your LO though, I'm sure they'd understand if you decide not to go.

10. marley2580

marley2580 Well-Known Member

I would not leave my LO at that age even for an hour let alone overnight (Kaya still hasn't slept overnight anywhere lol). I'd def ask if you could bring LO to the wedding, if it's BF you can just plug it in to keep it quiet if need be.

11. coccyx

coccyx Well-Known Member

No I would not leave my baby at that age. I can understand 'no kids' but would not also mean a young baby? If you are exclusively BF then what do they suggest you do with your baby?

12. adzuki

adzuki Mom to Miss M.

I'd ask them to bring the baby, and if they said no, then I'd ask to be able to delay the RSVp until I knew my baby's personality and knew whether or not he/she would be able to be apart from us without too much trauma.

I hope they make an exception for you!!!

:)
    S

13. lu-lu2009

lu-lu2009 Expecting a boy! 35 weeks

do whatever makes YOU comfortable. i wouldnt leave bubs personally at that age but its every MOTHERS choice, if your not comfortable leaving him/her with someone else but do it to keep the peace you will not be able to relax or enjoy the night and quite frankley i think the happy couple will understand completely xx

14. Pyrrhic

Pyrrhic Well-Known Member

Take LO with you, and get a babysitter for the hotel room while you're at the reception. Ring the hotel. they will be able to arrange one for you. :) I've worked in hotels for years, and it was always one of our most common requests. A lot of hotels keep a list of qualified child carers, and have a baby listening service too.

15. leighbaby

leighbaby yummy mummy

What a fab idea. Then you could check up on bubs whenever! Do hotels let you bring your own baby sitter for this kind of thing? - They wouldn't stay the night, just sit in the room with the baby!

16. kaykay

kaykay Well-Known Member

Personally I would leave LO overnight. Only with my mum though. I dont think i can trust anybody else andmy mum done a good job of bringing me up so I trust her with my LO. Too be honest you may appreaciate the break(not to be horrible) but babies are demanding! I suppose its upto you and how u feel at the time. x

17. Rachiebaby24

Rachiebaby24 Well-Known Member

its depends how you feel at the time....Maley only slept over at my mums for the first time yesterday, and it was heart wrenching!!!

saying that i know many people who have left their little ones at a young age so go by how you feel when the bubba is here. You may welcome a night off!!

18. dizzy duck

dizzy duck Mummy to Oliver

I couldn't leave my little man at that age, I think Rafwife had a great idea this way LO will be with you but you can still enjoy yourself, but its totally your choice, take care :hugs: XX

19. dannydustcart

dannydustcart Well-Known Member

I think that you should go with what you feel.. dont let anyone pressure what you do.. how important is this wedding? be honest... if its not that important dont stress yourself..
    I never left my daughter.. or i should say HAVE NEVER left her and shes 4. Except for one when she was 15 weeks old and i really really needed some sleep so my sister in law took her for a few hours and now nursery. I havent been out for 4 years lol
    but thats because i have no one no one now that i live miles from anyone.

Some people say its good for the baby to be left.... on the other hand it would mean you expressing milk and some babies after the breast wont take a bottle!

ITs completley up to you and theres no right or worng answer.. just what you want.

20. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Mum of 2

Its a very personal decision. The only thing i would say is it would be a pain to leave lo overnight if you are bf.