Would you let a relative who is babysitting your LO offer her breast for comfort?

what the hell is threading your eyebrows? :rofl:

I only have one friend that I would even consider this with. She's bf her youngest and she's like a sister to me. But only in emergency. I can't see it happening though, I have pumped milk in the freezer and Edward has no problem taking a bottle. Well, he gives attitude but won't actually refuse food :rofl:

I would bf her baby too, if she really needed it. I wouldn't let any baby go hungry but I sure wouldn't suggest it to most moms. Besides, I know very few fully bf babies right now.

I don't see the point of someone offering the breast if there is no milk in it.

The title of the thread is basically asking if you would let someone else offer the breast for COMFORT not for actual feeds. So no I absolutley wouldn't let someone else offer it for comfort, knowing my luck he'd expect it off everyone then !

Its not something I could really consider if he was hungry either as he takes a bottle no problem so its not something I could ever imagine happening or is likely to happen.

hmm very good question, as we are not talking something that would occur all the time then i think if i knew my baby was distraught & i knew whoever was looking after him was also bf then i would possibly say yes IF nothing else had worked & i could not get home quick enough. I wouldn't be upset at the bond thing as i'm not one of those who thinks bf means bonding, i bf my son coz it was free & easy simple as.
I think i would try find alternative ways of soothing my baby before i agreed to the carer offering her breast though.

Wow threading looks painful!! *sorry off point*

The title of the thread is basically asking if you would let someone else offer the breast for COMFORT not for actual feeds. So no I absolutley wouldn't let someone else offer it for comfort

That's what I thought. Erm nope, never ever would I let my baby suck someone elses breasts for comfort:nope:. One of my friends stuck her finger in my baby's mouth when she was crying and I almost went mental....it took a lot for me to be calm and say "I'd rather you didn't put your fingers in her mouth"....inside I was livid:growlmad:

It's definitely not because of the sexual aspect....it's because it's not right to "comfort" someone elses child with your own breasts, fingers etc:shrug:. I wouldn't even dream of doing it if I was babysitting someone elses, I would take them for a walk in the buggy, pop them in the baby swing, a drive in the car etc but never, ever that:wacko:

You also have to think that HIV and certain other things can be passed on in breastmilk. Can you say that 100% you know your close friend/relative definitely doesn't have HIV? I couldn't....how could you without testing them?:dohh:

Yes if they were a close friend/family and there was nothing else.

My friend offered to bf scott if I was unable to after the birth (for whatever reason) rather than give him a bottle which I preferred!
regarding the HIV I could be sure as i dont think a mother would bf her baby if she had HIV, and it unlikely that people would sleep around after the birth

Yes if they were a close friend/family and there was nothing else.

My friend offered to bf scott if I was unable to after the birth (for whatever reason) rather than give him a bottle which I preferred!
regarding the HIV I could be sure as i dont think a mother would bf her baby if she had HIV, and it unlikely that people would sleep around after the birth

I think you have to look a bit wider than that....they could have contracted HIV before having baby and be unaware of it, also if someone's OH did the dirty on them they could be infected, they would only have to sleep with someone once to become infected. Anyway that's not the issue, I was just mentioning that as it's something that not everyone knows.

Yes I would let them. I've had this conversation with people before. If someone genuinly would have that conversation with me seriously I'd have no problem with it.

I would feed a hungry baby in a heartbeat, provided his/her mum was okay with me BFing her child. If Darwin was hungry and I couldn't feed him and I knew the other woman was healthy, I wouldn't have an issue with someone else BFing him.

Same.

But I wouldn't want him to comfort suck with/on anyone else.

I think you have to look a bit wider than that....they could have contracted HIV before having baby and be unaware of it, also if someone's OH did the dirty on them they could be infected, they would only have to sleep with someone once to become infected. Anyway that's not the issue, I was just mentioning that as it's something that not everyone knows.

Actually, the blood tests they do at your booking in include HIV, so they would know if they had just had a baby. Of course you couldn't be 100% sure, but you can't be 100% sure about yourself either as your OH could have done the dirty on you. Nothing in life (or motherhood) is 100%, all we can do is weigh things up and make a decision.

To answer my own question, I wouldn't ever want another woman to feed/comfort my baby if I was there, because it is something I like to do. If, for whatever reason, I cannot do it, then I'd rather my baby was fed/comforted by someone else, than cry.

I'd have no problem nursing another baby.

Actually, the blood tests they do at your booking in include HIV, so they would know if they had just had a baby. Of course you couldn't be 100% sure, but you can't be 100% sure about yourself either as your OH could have done the dirty on you. Nothing in life (or motherhood) is 100%, all we can do is weigh things up and make a decision.

thats what I meant:dohh:

thats what I meant:dohh:

They have to give consent to that test...depends if they take it:dohh:

absolutely not for comfort, thats what Fred's dummy is for?!:baby:

but for food if it was a close friend and i wasn't there then probably yes xx

at baby club today i held a friends LO while she took her older daughter to soft play room, as she walked off she said 'just feed him if he cries!' it was a joke but if a hungry baby needed feeding i would do it with consent xxx

Wouldn't bother me either. I'd be more bothered by a hungry baby crying and not being able to do something about it!

Yep me too!

Funnily enough I'm not sure I'd use donated milk, but would let a BFing female relative feed my baby if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->