• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Would you let someone use your babies cot?

misslissa

TTC our first!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not sure if I'm in the wrong but would you let another child sleep in your babies cot before they had used it themselves?

Basically I've asked my brother to bring a travel cot as I want my baby's cot to be used first by him. I wasn't off at all and thought they would say "yes no prob" as I'm pretty sure they would have asked the same. I'm also not sure on the safety aspect as you are told to buy a new matress for your baby which is another reason I'm reluctant, I know it's only a few nights but then it's not new. Is it safe?

I feel really crap as they have said they won't stay now as their boy (2yrs old) isn't good in the travel cot.

My little boy is three months and he's not slept in his nursery yet so when he does I want it to be brand new.

;(

I personally wouldn't be bothered, specially for family.

I personally wouldn't be bothered, specially for family.

Oh god maybe I have been a bit precious. I just want my lo to have his things first really, I didn't think they would mind as they always use the travel cot. :(

Eh I would be bothered too if he hadn't used it yet too. But my lo is my first and this all is his firsts and I want to see him in all his new clothes, and toys, and cot, and all that jazz. I have the perfect moments in my head to create with him and them using it will have the picture of their kid in it first not yours. It mushes the memory. Its like his clothes, his already used clothes? I don't mind others using if they needed, but if it is new clothes he hasn't worn I would mind.

Yeah, I definitely would not have a problem with someone else's kid using it, particularly if it makes the difference between family visiting and not visiting.

It's totally safe for your baby to sleep on a mattress that's been used before, particularly if you know where and how it has been used. It's only really old mattresses that you're unfamiliar with where there's a problem.

I'm certainly not going to buy new mattresses for my coming baby's hammock and cot. Three months of use and what will be around 18 months of use respectively does not make them 'old' in my view.

Your baby will have dozens and dozens of new things in his or her first year. To insist on an unused cot for the sake of something that won't make a lick of difference to your child does seem a little precious. :flower:

I don't see the big deal especially for a family member. I can also relate to why they don't want their 2 year old in a travel cot...they are not comfortable at all.

I agree it wouldn't bother me. Would it help
To get different sheets,

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest, travel cots are horrible and family is way more important.
X

Wouldn't bother me and it would not make the unsafe at all.

We have OH's sister coming over at Christmas and her 1 year old will be using my LO's cot before LO has used it, I hadn't even given it a second thought TBH. The only thing that might annoy me is if we have to lower the cot base for her but no big deal I guess.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's weird how you feel a certain way about things that don't really matter but I can't ignore that my gut feeling says no, that's my lo's new bed. Right or wrong.

I love my bro, it's not because I don't want them here and I'm a little angry that he's guilt tripped me. They go away a lot and the travel cot is constantly used, one more night won't hurt.

I think the reason I feel like I do is backed up by the fact I know they would have done the same. There is no way in the world anyone would have slept in their lo's nursery let alone cot before he did. I wouldn't of even asked so I thought they would understand.

So I'm sticking with my feeling, no arguments, it's not happening. It's important to me.

Eh I would be bothered too if he hadn't used it yet too. But my lo is my first and this all is his firsts and I want to see him in all his new clothes, and toys, and cot, and all that jazz. I have the perfect moments in my head to create with him and them using it will have the picture of their kid in it first not yours. It mushes the memory. Its like his clothes, his already used clothes? I don't mind others using if they needed, but if it is new clothes he hasn't worn I would mind.

This is how I feel x

I wouldn't be bothered either, especially considering its family. Like a pp said it's only old used mattresses that can become a concern, but tbh many ppl still use old mattresses without a problem.

Anyway I can see your point of view but for one night it won't make much difference and it will still be your babies first time sleeping I'm there cot when it comes to the time so it will still be special.

Are the cots the same size? If so how about asking them to bring there own mattress? FIL bought a cotbed for there house but still hadn't got a mattress and my nephew needed to stay so they just took there own mattress and he used that. He's only got a tiny car and they got it in no problem. Maybe worth a suggestion?

Edit: only just seen your response.

I wouldn't want someone else using it first. I wouldn't want someone to sleep in my new bed before I slept in it. Especially if they use the travel cot a lot, it's obviously not a problem usually. What would they do if your baby was in the cot already??

Yes it would bother me, especially since they are 2! I wouldnt want a 2 year old child sleeping in my babies new cot. Not a chance...but I wouldnt have a 2 year old in a cot full stop. Could thy not bring a little ready bed, the blow up ones? I dont see why they wont bring the travel cot if they usually always use it. Stick to your guns hun, youd have to mess around lowering it, then worry incase they managed to break it (I say this because a 2 and a half year old broke ds1s cot!).

Xx

It would bother me. I'd say no too. I'd not want someone else sleeping in my baby's nursery before he had made use of it. It's been built and decorated for him and him moving into his nursery eventually will be a momentous occasion for me - I don't want anyone else to have used his room. If they're that precious about using the travel cot then they can co-sleep.

I am more than happy to share most/all my LO's stuff, but she always gets to use it first!

I have got my double pushchair ready for when baby number 2 arrives, there would have been a few occasions where it would have been good for LO and my nephew, but I want it new for baby number 2. After baby number 2 has been in it (even if its just for five mins), everyone else can use it as much as they like.

Wouldn't bother me? I guess because ds's bed was already used by my nephews. Dd's was new but I didn't get it until she was five months old. I envision her still being in it at 2!

Honestly I find traveling with a 2 year old to be a major pain the ass so I would probably skip out too if he couldn't go in a crib (cot)

i would've been the same as you with my first born, but looking back now, i'd have said no problem. Try and see it from your brothers point of view, they aren't going to want to stay somewhere knowing their LO wont sleep.
As for the mattress, i think a new mattress basically means not been used for a long time by another child if that makes sense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"