Would you sacrifice a vacation to buy a house?

Wnt2beAMom

Reaction score
So I'm commenting here because I honestly miss this WTT section. No one comments on posts in the pregnancy forums it seems....
Here is my dilemma....DH and I want to buy a house, but also want a babymoon/honeymoon, since we didn't get a honeymoon. We currently have $5k saved for this vacation and $10k saved for a down payment to buy a house sometime....
We've found an awesome house we are going to look at tomorrow, but it would require the whole $15k as a down payment, which means no vacation :(

So...do we not buy a house and keep saving a better down payment for later and take our trip....or buy the house IF we absolutely love it?! What would you do?!?!

I'd buy the house. A vacation will give you memories, but the house is something tangible that will do so much more for you guys for the money involved. :flower:

Why not look around your area and see if there are some things you can do nearby that don't cost as much?

Absolutely!! Agree totally with previous poster :)

A vacation is a few days.
A house is a lifetime.

No question about it in my eyes!!

No doubt! Thats what we did, and havent looked back. :)

I agree with the previous posters. If you love the house you should go for it, who knows how long it might take for you to come across another that you like as much. You can save up again for the vacation.

I would buy the house! We haven't been abroad since 2012 as we were saving for our house, we now have the house and hopefully are booking to go away next summer - it has been tough but so worth it!

Buy a house and then just go for a quick weekend away as your little getaway before bubs is due. We had a 'babymoon' but it was really just staying a few nights away in a town about 3hrs drive from where we live.

Thanks everyone! I agree with all of you. Vacation is only for an amount of time...where this can stay with us forever, and we can always save again for a vacation and do something local :)
I'm so excited to actually see the house for real today, hoping it is as great as the pictures :)

Just echoing what others have said, a house no doubt about it!

100% House! I wish it only took $15 000 to put a down payment on a house here. Renting sucks!

The least we can put down is 5%...this house is 300k and its a fixer upper lol

Hope you love it in real life. Let us know what happens :flower:

Well we saw the house. There is a lot of potential, which means a lot of hard work.
We've decided we will look at a few more houses to compare what we can get in our price range...so at least we know we can be committed to searching for a house vs. Having a vacation....
Its such a big decision...lol

I would buy the house before going on vacation. You could always go on a smaller vacation or even a staycation.

So I'm commenting here because I honestly miss this WTT section. No one comments on posts in the pregnancy forums it seems....
Here is my dilemma....DH and I want to buy a house, but also want a babymoon/honeymoon, since we didn't get a honeymoon. We currently have $5k saved for this vacation and $10k saved for a down payment to buy a house sometime....
We've found an awesome house we are going to look at tomorrow, but it would require the whole $15k as a down payment, which means no vacation :(

So...do we not buy a house and keep saving a better down payment for later and take our trip....or buy the house IF we absolutely love it?! What would you do?!?!

Personally I'de go for the holiday but i'de be the minority here, the ay i look at it is once you have a house it is so much harder to save for holidays whereas once you get back from your holiday you can full on save for the house again, if it is your dream house though i would just go for the house, never know when it might become available again, if you think you could fins another one like it in 8 months or on elike it a bit cheaper, go for that?
Also if its your full savings gone on ust downpayment it would be hard to get on your feet and get everything you need x

I agree with buying a house. We planned to have a babymoon in January but the whole house buying thing came up for us too. I'd rather put our left over money into the house and have a good environment for baby first.

Originally, I was going to say house, but your adding that it is a fixer upper makes me lean towards vacation. But that could be just me. :haha: Especially considering some of my favorite memories are from vacations taken with my DH. With a fixer upper house you'll have to be prepared for all sorts of unknown expenses. Of course, an inspection can help with that and perhaps give you an idea of how much you might be spending after it's purchased. We walked away from a couple of different homes due to what an inspection turned up. You could always put in an offer contingent to an inspection of you really love the house. Ultimately I think it comes down to what you and your DH really want more, and feel you can accept not having just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->