Would you sacrifice a vacation to buy a house?

Originally, I was going to say house, but your adding that it is a fixer upper makes me lean towards vacation. But that could be just me. :haha: Especially considering some of my favorite memories are from vacations taken with my DH. With a fixer upper house you'll have to be prepared for all sorts of unknown expenses. Of course, an inspection can help with that and perhaps give you an idea of how much you might be spending after it's purchased. We walked away from a couple of different homes due to what an inspection turned up. You could always put in an offer contingent to an inspection of you really love the house. Ultimately I think it comes down to what you and your DH really want more, and feel you can accept not having just yet.

That's how i look at it too, me and OH are quit ehappy renting, and we have had the best memories ever on holidays and would love to create more :thumbup:

I know a lot of people have said what I'm going to say, but I feel like a number of opinions can help (or at least that's how I feel about things!).

We're in the process of fixing up a house before we move in in January, and I just got married a few months ago and had my honeymoon. So all of the above would make me say you should go for the house. Mainly because a vacation only lasts for a few weeks, and while they're ideally supposed to make you relax, you can spend a lot of time being tense about travel etc etc. Perhaps, once you have the house, you can start saving for the honeymoon later and then eventually you can have both?

I do hope everything works out in your favor though! Good luck!

House. Hands down. If you have the deposit, do it. We won't be doing any big ticket travel for a while now as we have bought ours, but as lots of people are saying, holidays closer to home are still on the cards.

I'd definitely go for the house. I saved hard for a deposit for my house, and am so proud of the fact that I bought a home on my own in my early twenties.

I would love to go on an expensive holiday to somewhere hot and exotic, but I would definitely pick the house over the holiday.

I think I would quite like a house to do up, but only if I knew that I would have enough money to complete it.

People are satin they would choose the holiday for the memories - yes, holiday memories are fantastic. Some of my best memories are from a big holiday we had a few years back!

Our house was a doer upper too, and my other favourite memories are being cramped into one small room for eating, cooking, "relaxing" and sleeping, no tv or internet, living off kettle or micro meals eaten with plastic cutlery off paper plates, painting or scraping walls or booking tradespeople in any spare minute. It is still all an amazing memory!

Thanks! Lots to think about.
We are researching a closer to home alternative for a vacation, and going to look at a couple other houses tonight and tomorrow.
So seems the consensus is a smaller vacation and a house, but a house we absolutely love! I don't feel I was too sold on the one we just looked at...based on the amount of work it would require....which would require a lot more funds going to that instead of future holidays....
The other good thing about a closer to home vacation is being pregnant I don't know how I'll feel flying and being too far from home in case of any emergencies. Plus, a lot of places we've looked at I'll have restrictions....so why go somewhere beautiful and then not be able to do every activity imaginable?

Well after seeing more houses last night in our price range...the very first house is looking like a better deal for our money....but we are going to keep looking still.
The ones last night were renovated but in worse neighbourhoods and older. The renovations done on them didn't even seem that appealing....DH said "its nice with the first house we see the bare bones and can fix things ourselves, where these ones feel like the renovations are hiding something"

I would buy the house if you love it. You can vacation another time, but this house will only be available for so long...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"