Would you take 6mo on a 3hr car trip by yourself at this time of year?

Lizzie Lou

Reaction score
I'm supposed to be going to see my sister and her baby before xmas and taking LO up with me but the closer it gets the more worried I am about driving for 3 hours with her in the car when I'm on my own :( I guess I'm more worried about being stuck in traffic than anything as I won't be able to comfort her/feed etc if I'm driving and at this time of year the journey has the potential to take forever!!

I can go on my own to visit (OH has to stay here to look after his boys who are here at the weekend so he could have LO) but I know my mum is looking forward to seeing her (she only saw her last week but that's beside the point!) and I feel a bit under pressure to take her.

I'm also a bit of a country bumpkin :blush: and don't like motorways (they scare the cr*p out of me tbh!), I worry constantly about having a accident with LO in car!

Oh god I don't know what to do! Does anyone else have to travel a long way with LO on their own...and do you survive??

We went up north a few weeks ago and LO fell asleep the whole way here. It took a little more than three hours but we had to stop halfway to feed - also that we were advised to rest baby from the car seat every 1 1/2 - 2 hours

Think it depends where you live and what the weather is like. Up here I would as there's not much chance of massive traffic jams, but if the weather was bad I wouldn't

If the weather is very bad I wouldn't - but otherwise I would, and have.

My LO screams in her car seat alot, so i never go anywhere on my own with her!!!! We always get the train.

The train or even coach might be abetter opption at least then you can walk about ect

LO has always been fine on journeys, put some music on LO likes, toy on her lap, and stop after 1/.5-2hours they recommend. We generally time it to leave when she's due a sleep so that'sa bonus

I have done a four hour trip many a time on my own with Freya - she hates the car and won't sleep, so for the last couple of months I have been doing them at night, makes it so much easier for us, as she sleeps more, and tends to stare out the window at lights etc.

I don't enjoy it though, and I'm slightly dreading all the Christmas journeys I have to do.

I wouldn't do it only because you'd be by yourself. If the baby needed to be fed, changed, or let out of the seat to stretch a bit and you can't pull over then that would only upset the little one. And not only that but with how crazy people are in this generation I wouldn't trust going without someone with you. Maybe invite a friend to tag along?

Aisling is fine in the car so we've done this a few times. If LO is hungry or needs a break you can always stop off at services for a bit. Even if you had someone with you, you'd still have to stop as you can't change a nappy or take LO out of the seat with the car moving anyway... I wouldn't do it if the weather was dreadful i.e. stormy or snowy but otherwise I would. I'm happy driving on motorways etc though so it depends on where your comfort level is :hugs:

I think the weather is set to turn very cold with the potential for snow, if it does snow I would not do it on your own. However, if the weather is fine then just make sure you plan your journeys with stops, as someone has already mentioned your LO should not be in a car seat for more than 2 hours at a time as it affects their breathing, the oxygen levels in their blood reduces because of their positioning in the car seats. I think all car seats need a complete re-design.
We are taking our LO on a 3 hour journey too over xmas (weather dependant) and I am dreading it, I hate her being in a car seat for just 10 min journeys let alone 3 hours. She hates it too. We are planning our stops at service stations, we will have 3 stops in total...bit of a faff but we have to do it.

It would definitely depend on the weather/road conditions. I would also mull over past experiences with car trips, even just around town, and that would determine how I think LO would handle it. If LO was fussy even during those times, then I would think a long trip might not be good.

If all are good, yes, I would probably do it.

I have taken Alex an hours drive away on my own for a hospital appiontment, i switched off the airbag in the passenger seat and had him the front, he was as good as gold slept there and back.
My folks live 2 hours away and i have done that journey once with my 10 year old with me and again Alex slept in the back no bother.

My main issue would be the weather at this time of year as it can change so quickly. My advice check the forecast and if its going to be fine just go for it. Take your time and stop as much as needed.

xx

Same - if it was three hours in ok weather, fine. If any hint of terrible weather, prob not.

Re motorway - can you be one of those (annoying) people who stays at 60 in the inside lane? I do it now I've got a LO. I used to find it annoying, now I love it!

Same - if it was three hours in ok weather, fine. If any hint of terrible weather, prob not.

Re motorway - can you be one of those (annoying) people who stays at 60 in the inside lane? I do it now I've got a LO. I used to find it annoying, now I love it!

ha ha I usally do that for the first hour on the motorway regardless of whether I've got LO or not lol! It takes me that long to adjust to the big scary lorries and crazy driving of motorway madness!!

Thanks for all your advice girlies! My biggest concern is getting stuck in a jam that isn't moving for hours and not being able to get off the motorway with a screaming baby in the back! She's generally ok in the car and I would plan to stop twice with her anyway but traffic is so ridiculous at this time of year I'm not sure it's worth it!

I took Emily down to see my mum when she was 3 weeks old. My mum lives 502 miles away and it was fine. She sat in the front with me, and we stopped every 2 hours for an hour so i could feed/change her and let her lie about and straighten her back.
We make the journey every 3 or 4 weeks now, and I've found it much easier to drive late at night. We usually leave here around midnight that way we miss all the major traffic jams round manchester/birmingham/m25 etc, and then we leave my mum's at 8pm on the way home, which again means we are steering clear of traffic... plus, there is never a queue for the baby changing facilities at the service stations!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->