Wow, what you can and can't eat?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by NeyNey, Dec 12, 2009.

1. NeyNey

NeyNey Love My IVF Munchkin

So I'm trying to exercise caution and eat the right foods and avoid the wrong ones. But if I avoided every food that i've found on various websites that suggest while pregnant, well I'd never be able to eat anything! Lol

So...What are the main foods to avoid?
    I know most Fish (the big guys) and undercooked meat.
    And soft serve icecream :cry: and soft cheeses

Is there any other "major" risk foods??

2. SarahMelissa

SarahMelissa Maxy & Benny's Mummy

I think you need to stay away from chicken, mainly the ones you buy already cooked and sitting in a hotbox thing at the supermarket and deli meats are also on that list.

3. Naya69

Naya69 Well-Known Member

liver and pate and eggs that are under cooked some mayos as well x

4. bek74

bek74 Mum of 5

Hun you can get the Praise Mayo that doesn't contain raw egg. I use it to make my mushy egg. Eggs are very good for you while pregnant but they have to be cooked all the way through ( I am a runny egg eater, so this one is hard lol)
    You can eat prepacked ham and stuff, just not meat that has sat in the deli all day, and no hot chickens from woolies or coles etc, cook your own fresh.
    You can eat fish, just not flake and some others, COD is allowed so you can still have fish and chips on friday night if you like.
    My nurse said Prawns are fine, just to keep my bowl seperate from others and leave mine in the fridge and eat them straight from the fridge (you know on Christmas day when they bowl is left out on the table, we don't eat from that bowl).
    You can eat normal cheese.
    Honey you can pretty much eat anything you just have to use more caution, so yes ham, either fresh off the bone or prepacked.
    etc etc, you get the idea.
    Stick to wholegrains, eggs, almonds, cheese, yoghurts all the good yummy healthy stuff.

5. NeyNey

Thanks huns....

So if I wanted to cook some chicken to have cold the next day in a chicken salad at work - this is not a good idea?

6. SarahMelissa

SarahMelissa Maxy & Benny's Mummy

Yeah i probably wouldnt be doing that. Its been so hard not having chicken, it is one of my fav things, i love chicken salad's and stuff, but i guess its really just not worth the risk. There is always time for chicken after baby comes :)

7. BabyL0Ve

BabyL0Ve Guest

This is exactly how i feel and I stay away from googling foods, just use common sence and ask doc ;) I quit eating blue cheese and sushi ( i am a big suhshi lover for both & it's hard but ill do it for my baby! ) Chicken is really good for you, it has lots of protein so make sure ou buy it and cook it at home. I stay away from deli sandwiches bc you don't know for how long they've been sitting. Eggs are another source of good protein so make sure they are cooked. Lately I crave potatoes, i ordered chicken with mashed potatoes and french fries as sides lol i didn't even realize :p I eat lots of veggies and fruits, mainly bananas and apples :) Milk is good makes sure its ultra pasturized so it doesn't not contain a lot of hormone.
    :hugs:

8. Katherine

Katherine Well-Known Member

Also read that you should avoid eating too much pineapple and unriped papaya, as those can induce labor if eaten in high quantity.

9. bek74

bek74 Mum of 5

Yes you CAN eat it the next day but not the day after that. My nurse and OB said it is fine to eat it the next day and what is then left over to throw in the bin.

10. NeyNey

Thanks everyone :)

11. Sweetie

Sweetie DD, DS, and a Surprise!!!

I stay away from caffeine, aspartame, undercooked egg, rare meats, wine and liquor, unpasteurized mayo and things like pate and such

I tend to limit deli meats (only from VERY reputable sources), canned tuna. On very rare occasion I will have a tiny bit of brie (some soft cheeses from again VERY reputable sources)

12. Kelly9

Kelly9 Well-Known Member

WOW! I didn't realize there was so much on that list... all the good foods are out! I love sushi and deli meats and pate! Veggie sushi is good though right?

13. shorman

shorman Mum to 2 girl and babyboy

Hey you can it most things, chicken make sure you just cook it well, don't have any very strong cheeses, you can eat nuts, no liver or Pate, no shell fish or shark, mmm I think that's about it :) I no right the list is a long one but don't listen to the no nut rule as you bub will unlikely have a nut allergey if you eat nuts wren you are pregnant :)

14. kc1980

kc1980 Well-Known Member

wow, i have never heard "no chicken". what is the reasoning behind that?

I am eating all cheeses, including gorgonzola, brie, goat's, as long as it's pasteurized. That's the only real concern that I can find, whether it's pasteurized or not. I have read sites where they say that American cheese is preferable to the soft cheeses. Are they kidding?!? American cheese probably doesn't even contain any real dairy in it! How can it be better for you than something that actually comes from a cow? lol.

I also eat any meats. Women in Switzerland aren't told not to cut out anything and my doc. here had never heard about that no-nitrates stuff. I am just limiting it.

Any store-bought mayo. is surely fine - how many people actually eat fresh mayo?

Not that I am eating sushi, but I seriously doubt that Japanese women are told not to eat it. Anyone know?

But I guess the rule of thumb should really be - if you can live without it, why not try for just 9 months? It's really not such a hardship to go without any of these... :thumbup:

15. Janidog

Janidog Well-Known Member

I eat about 4 shop brought prawn and mayo sandwiches a week, cause thats all i fancy and the nurse said it was fine, same with eggs as long as it has the red lion mark, so tom morning for brekkie im having running eggs with soldiers yum yum mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm of course everything in moderation :blush:

16. pollypop

pollypop Well-Known Member