WTT and folic acid

Discussion in 'Waiting To Try' started by calm, Apr 9, 2009.

1. calm

calm Administrator
    Administrator Moderator

I was told that it is important to take folic acid before getting pregnant so to form a deposit of it. So as you can get pregnant on the first cycle, that means we should take folic acid so many months when our WTT is ending, right? Any opinions?

2. Amygdala

Amygdala Well-Known Member

Yep. My gynacologist suggested 3 months before.

3. bunnyg82

bunnyg82 Mum to 2 gorgeous boys

yeh, 3 months before is the advice, but I am taking it now and am not starting till Sept - there's no harm taking it now so you may as well get started! x

4. BritAcrossSea

BritAcrossSea Yellow Bump Turned Pink

Yeah, 3 months is the recommended amount of time but obviously there's no harm in taking it for longer.

5. akgrown

akgrown Proud Mom of 1!!

I don't think we will be TTC until September 09 and I am taking folic acid now...makes me feel like I am doing something and just on the chance that a 'happy accident' happens (hey, I can hope right :)) then I will feel better knowing I took it.

6. calm

calm Administrator
    Administrator Moderator

Yes, it is nice that we can be doing something to be putting is nearer to TTC, makes it more real somehow.

7. Vesta

Vesta Mum of 1. WTT #2

I'll start taking it about 6 months before. As there is some suggestion that spina bifida is genetic. My mum has is it, and so does my cousin. However it is a very mild form of it.

8. AutumnRose

AutumnRose Guest

Ive just started taking a multi vitamin which has folic acid. I wont be TTC until September this year.

9. calm

calm Administrator
    Administrator Moderator

Well that means I will take a general multivitamin till the summer ( I will look for one with plenty of folic acid anyway.) And in September start taking folic Acid and even may ask about taking anything else to my doc. If all goes well I will start with TCC in December- January. Its starting to feel really real... I just have to make sure I don't stop doing all I have to do to be prepared and ready.

10. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Well-Known Member

Well done honey, I'm very glad you're getting along. I was told 3 months before was good and so that's what I'll be doing. Although I probably will take a multivitamin...xxxx

11. bigbloomerz

bigbloomerz Well-Known Member

Yep I was also told 3 months before, but no limit on when to start. Im gonna start on the multivitamins in August, and then the folic acid in September. x

12. cinnamum

cinnamum Mumof_4_PREG W#5

i am taking multivitamins as i am so worn down i may go to docs think i might be... "whats the word?.... need iron x x x lol x x x