• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

WTT no2. What do you say when people ask?

_dreamer_

Reaction score
Anyone in the same predicament, my first born is now 3 and I am now suddenly being quizzed by everyone on:
Do you think you'll have any more?
Would you like another?
Isn't it time for another?
I have my bets on you being next
Are you planning to have another one?
Erin needs a brother or sister

And i never know what to say especially in work - that's where these questions bother me as they tend to be colleagues not close friends, who i do openly discuss with. It makes me feel a bit cross as no one knows the circumstances, i could have been trying for a long time for all they know. As it is i haven't, but we bought a new house last year and I'm waiting to be in the right financial situation again, where we should hopefully be soon and also i had no idea how we would have afforded two in nursery but I would love to have another and makes me quite sad when people ask.

How do you deal with these sort of questions? I have ended up saying yes we'd like another and just quickly change the subject! But makes me feel awkward. Especially if they continue to ask when we are TTC

Yes, I know what you mean. I don't mind people asking "will you have anymore?" Because I can just say yes, eventually I would like another. It's worse when people ask "When will you have another?" I find that too personal. I don't want people knowing when I plan TTC.

However, I have a friend who's very open and blunt about it. If anyone asks, she just tells them when she's planning to TTC. And I must admit it's quite good because it seems to just totally shut down the conversation. It's almost as if people don't genuinely expect you the answer the question!!

I just say "Eventually, but the one we've got is enough to handle for now."

Most of my friends who have kids around my LO's age have recently had their second/are pregnant with their second and I get bugged about having another one despite the fact that I've already told them I want a bigger age gap. It can get really annoying.

I get this a lot, especially at the moment. At work (I work with a lot of women) there's this idea that there will always be 3 people pregnant at the same time and there are two at the moment. I even got called into my ward managers office a couple of months ago and she told me she'd heard I was pregnant. I think it was her way of asking without asking because she's not allowed to ask as my manager. I just say things like 'Grace is more than enough to be going on with', 'yeah in another year or two' or I tell them about my sisters who one is 10 1/2 months younger than me and the other is not 2 years younger than that. Or I sometimes say I need a promotion first or it'll never happen.

We've only just started to get these questions sometimes (our daughter just turned 2). I'm in the final year of finishing a PhD (hoping to finish up this time next year). I think it's a bit easier to deflect the attention because I literally can't take anymore time off as I already took a year and a half off when I had my daughter. As it's a very definite deadline, like I can give them an exact date before which I definitely can't have another baby, it ends the conversation quicker. We actually do genuinely want to have another baby quickly after I finish, but I'm not sure how I'll feel if it takes longer than planned.

People are so nosy, I wouldn't tell them anything that you don't feel comfortable sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"