Yet ANOTHER Accident Form At Nursery.

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by Lellow, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Lellow

Lellow Déjà poo ... Get it?

Mornin :flow:

Aymen goes to nursery 2 afternoons a week - I picked Aymen up from nursery yesterday, he was fine and chirpy as usual.
    Keyworker hands me his book as usual, i read it, say thank you and grab Aymens coat from his peg.
    Then the dreaded 'Oh im really sorry, but Aymens got another accident form today''....Oh god, her we go AGAIN.

So for his 2 sessions last week, he has accident forms for both days....One was cos an abacus fell on him and cut his bottom lip.
    The second was cos a little girl bit him TWICE on his wrist.
    And again today was because a little girl bit him AGAIN on his other arm.

Im dreading going in again to pick him up cos he'll probably have yet another accident form.

I know these are toddlers we're talking about and some things just cant be helped but im mainly writing this cos theres been a change in staff of late and i just dont think there as vigilant when it comes to keeping an eye on whats going on...
    The girls previous were really attentive and rarely ever had any issues.

Also hes started to get really upset in the past couple of weeks when DH drops him off which he NEVER did before and im a bit concerned that theres a link.

Should i bring it up with the nursery do you think or am i just overreacting?

xxx

2. sophxx

sophxx Well-Known Member

If it was my lo I know we wouldn't be happy. I'd prob have a quiet word with them just say your a bit concerded about the number of accidents hes having

3. mummyclo

mummyclo Guest

I would have a word definitely, especially if he keeps getting bitten by the same girl :Sand he now doesn't seem to want to go x

4. Lellow

The other day i got a call from them sayin that Aymen is just constantly crying and theyre concerned cos he rarely ever cries so wondered if he was poorly.
    Anyway, he was fine at home and i walked over to the nursery, [it shares the same car park as my work place, so its close] as soon as i got there he was fine again....I just have no clue whats going in...Im confused!

5. punk_pig

punk_pig Guest

I'd definitely want someone to be paying attention to how that girl acts around him. They know she's prone to biting him so when she approached him they should be watching like hawks in my opinion. The actual "accidents" ie abacus, can't be helped and wouldn't worry me.

6. Lellow

Exactly - Abacus thing doesnt bother me as such, but its his fourth bite since hes been going.
    The very first one was on his face and looked hurrendous.

7. mrsthomas623

mrsthomas623 MommyToNolanAndPregnant!

Sounds like the workers need more experience. I would mention the reports to the manager/director so they can have a word with the girls. I would give Aymen a little more time to adjust to them and hopefully they will get their act together.

8. Lellow

When i pick him up today, if he has another form, ill go and speak with the manager.
    I hate confrontation tho...so i might just fone and speak to her instead.

The nursery is great other than that, but im so disappointed that the original girls have been moved to different rooms.

9. mrsthomas623

mrsthomas623 MommyToNolanAndPregnant!

That is odd that they were moved to a different room. I worked in daycare for 3 years before having little man and had to deal with a fair share of biters. If it happens again, do not be afraid to be annoyed while signing the form and ask what is being done about this, why is your son being the one bitten. Make sure they know you are not happy about it, then they will be more pressured to stop it from happening. Believe me, there is nothing worse then handing an accident form to an unhappy parent. :haha:

10. Lellow

Thanks guys...we'll see what today brings.

11. Blah11

Blah11 ☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼

Amelie is at nursery 4 days a week and has been going for over 2 years and Ive had to fill in an accident form ONCE because a little boy and amelie were fighting over a pair of safety scissors and it nicked her finger lol

Sounds like its happening abit too often in your case.

12. Janidog

Janidog Well-Known Member

My sisters LO has been bitten three times at his nursery and the last bite was awful. She made a complaint to make sure they are looking in to it.

For me if my LO had been bitten that many times i may well question those that are supposedly meant to be looking after him, and especially if its the same child doing the biting. If nothing is done then i would remove my child and look for somewhere else

13. keepontrying

keepontrying Well-Known Member

Firstly in terms of accident forms and nurseries / child care settings whilst a lot of parents feel like never a day goes by where they do not get one its importnat to remember than any accident, bump, nudge, fall etc MUST be documented so whereas at home you would pick them up, dust them down and an hour later you have forgotten they even did it its different at nursery.

Secondly - biting, its a toughie.... lots of children do it, not always the same one and when a child is going through a biting phase its near on impossible to intercept every biting attempt because it happens quick as a flash.
    I would be enquiring as to what the biting policy is, what actions are they taking, they should be recording observations on the biting children to find out what happens before after and during, if there are any triggers, certain times of the day it happens, is it happening outside nursery is it when they are tired, frustrated, being affectionate (difficult for adults to understand that one!)

what actions do they have in place to tackle this.

With regards to being upset:
    This could be because there has been a change in carers and also because he could be wary of being bitten or just completely unrelated of the two - sometimes children have bad days as we do ane may be upset - it doesnt tale long before they see that their tears can upset their carers / parent and get them extra cuddles, behaviour patterns can form very quickly.

Nurseries do sometimes move staff around, its good for their own professional development - however i would consider it bad practise should teh whole team all be moved together - if thats the case i would want to know what hand over there had been and whether the children had settling in visits from their new carers and whether it was done gradually to give adjustment period.

Does he have a new keyworker - has she been noting that he is becomming unsettled? what has she done about that?

good luck x

14. BabyJayne

BabyJayne Me, DH, DD & pregnant

Yep, definitely have a word. Just to air your concerns, because, well, you are concerned. It doesn't have to be done in a confrontational way, but you want and need to be clear in your own mind why these four bites have occurred and how is best to deal with it.

I totally understand your reluctance too - it's hard to know when you should raise something with a nursery and when you should put it down to "kids being kids". I think complaining is too strong, but that's not what you are doing, you are just asking to be fully informed of what happened and what is being done about it. One thing that does strike me though is that they are filling these forms in - and not being tempted to see if they can get away with not highlighting it to you. I know that any good nursery wouldn't even think of doing anything less, but still, they are keeping to rules even though reporting it to you would obviously raise slight concerns.

Hope Aymen is accident free today!!

15. Baby France

Baby France Me and my amazing babies!

I think you should organise a parents evening. OH and I were concerned a few weeks ago and organised a parents evening. It gave us chance to talk to the room leader about staff changes and things we'd noticed them doing at home that we weren't happy about.

DS went through a stage of telling everyone that he wasn't there friend. Or would hit them, say sorry and when walking away say 'not sorry really'.

Since we had a chat to them, things have been much better. But we got to hear about how well he was doing and got a look at their learning folders too. Maybe an idea? That way its not confrontational but you can ask about how they deal with things (again) about biting etc...

Hope he's had an accident free day!!

16. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

Hope he's accident free today, I definitely would be asking them what their policies are on biting etc.

Baby France - Ruby is also now saying 'not sorry' when I explain to her she has done something wrong, oops

17. Lellow

I am genuinely not making this up, ill get copies and scan them just to assure you all. :haha:

Anyway, i picked him up at 5.30 again this afternoon....ANOTHER accident form.

They mopped the floor in the dining area after tea and Aymen toddled over, slipped and banged the back of his head :(
    The usual 'We put a cold compress on him' yada yada yada....:(

Im gonna call the manager tomorrow :(

18. keepontrying

keepontrying Well-Known Member

ok in relation to the last post you have put i would definitely call a meeting with the manager - if they have w et floor then there should be a divide so the children can not access it - do they have cctv??

19. Lellow

Im gonna have to grow some balls and address it with her tomorrow. :(

20. Jemma_x

Jemma_x Mummy and Engaged

:hugs: id be quite concered, LOs in nursery 3 and a half days a week and ive only had one accident form so id be having a chat with the manager