Yikes! I'm pregnant! Can't quite get my head around that.

Equimo

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm very new to all this stuff.
Just last week discovered i am pregnant. I had a feeling my period was two weeks late, but as i'm so rubbish at keeping track of it i wasn't absolutley sure. However, sure enough, two positive tests later and my brain is trying to come to terms with the fact i'm going to have a baby.
I'm 33 this year, and we were half heartedly TTC. We stopped using contraception and i kinda thought, oh well if it happens then it's probably about time. So it happened!
I'm not sure how i am supposed to feel, and i'm not sure how i do feel. (Apart from a bit out of sorts in the abdominal region.)
I am a very active person who works with horses. I ride two or three every day and i'm not sure i won't resent my situation when i have to stop doing what i love. Safe to say, i don't feel very maternal just yet!
I am really looking forwards to telling the in laws though. I am quite detatched from my parents, who lets say were not the best example of loving parents and so it's my decision to live my life without them now. So the next best thing i have is his parents who will be thrilled. We are going to tell them this weekend, when i will be getting on for 8 weeks. I will also have to tell a few select good friends as i had a very unfortunate encounter at the doctors. While speaking to the receptionist about me finding out i was pregnant (after seeing doc, to fill a form in) i desperatley tried to get accross to her the urgent confidentiality of this information by speaking in whispers and putting a finger to my lips. She procede to blurt out, "dont worry, patient confidentiality is most important to us and to all of the midwives and they won't spill the beans to anyone." It was then i had to explain in hushed tones that she had just told the lady behind me, (who we have known for years and would describe as a big gob on a stick) that i was expecting and thanks for that! So before big gob gets it around to my closest friends, i will have to tell them earlier than i wanted to. It's so unfair! It should be my joy to tell my friends i'm pregnant, and now i'm damned if i'm going to give gob on a stick the pleasure. Sorry, I'm having a rant. It really upset me though as i feel i need to get in before she does now.
Anyway, i might be around here quite a lot as i have never done this pregnant thing before. Don't laught too much if i'm asking stupid questions.
Thanks for letting me rant.

Welcome to B&B :hi: and Congrats on your :bfp:

You'll find the ladies here are great with lots of helpful advice who won't mind answering what you think are 'stupid questions'. lol

Congratulations :D

I have always been a horsey person, although don't currently ride. My mum rode up to around 6 months (with my little brother) or so and was saddling up my dad's racehorse (he was a jockey at the time) the day she went into labour!

I know a lot of people who have continued to ride and be around horses right up to the latter stages of pregnancy. I guess it just depends on how you feel about riding whilst pregnant! I totally understand the thought that you may resent it if you can not ride etc for several months - but it'll all be worth it :D

I would be very tempted to right a letter of complaint to the Doctors surgery re the breach of confidentiality. That really isn't on - regardless of whether you knew the people stood behind you or not, the receptionist should ensure she is not overheard!

Happy & Healthy 9 months to you

Thankyou ladies!
Ah, i won't write a letter. I just hope she has learned from her foolish mistake. I think she suddenly understood me, judging by her face. Did she think i was whispering and putting my finger to my lips for fun? Even my OH blocked the kiosk with his whole body and was hushing her too!
Can't change what happened, and in hindsight i should have asked to go to a room to speak. It's just that my head is all over the place and i couldn't think quick enough when i came out of the doc's room and saw gob on a stick woman.
Oh well. Telling some friends tomorrow, and his parents on Saturday. Looking forward to that. Off to ride now, while i still can!
Thanks again ladies.

Dear Equimo, congratulations!! It takes some time to get your head around it, especially at our age when we are so used to doing our own thing and for so many years! (Im also 33). As for Big Gob - could you possibly ask her not to say anything? It sounds like she is a real pain, but sometimes people surprise you with their understanding of how important it is to keep something like that quiet, and for you to share yourself.
Anyway, good luck! Safe and happy nine months for you luv!
xoxo

Pea

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back