You know what I dont get????

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Pumpkin, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

When I watch bringing home baby and they are introducing the baby to all the dogs in the house and they bring the baby down to dog level and let the dogs sniff the head......

Ok so like I am thinking if they dog freaks or the baby screams the head is the WORST possible spot to be bit!!! Maybe dangle them a leg to smell but for the love of God, keep that precious little head away from the doggy's mouth! lol

Ok, I am over it :0)

2. hypnorm

hypnorm Well-Known Member

the best way to introduce them is to bring something home that smells of the babay, and if you plan to make changes to the dogs routine, i.e they will sleep down stairs instead of with you - do it now before baby is born other wise they associate the baby with the change.

It is best to let dogs sniff the baby when you come home, obviously if you are worried you do it on a lead, then you have some control.

Use common sense and things will be fine.

3. marley2580

marley2580 Well-Known Member

I'm planning on a home birth, so my dogs will be near the baby from day one. I trust my control over my dogs so I will quite happily let them (calmly) sniff the sprog all over and get to know it. I know that my dogs are more likely to run away or keep their distance if they are unhappy, rather than bite. If you respect your dogs and the signals they give off (i.e. warning growls, unhappy body language etc) there should be no problem.

4. Wobbles

Wobbles BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired

I agree with this although it was my cat when I had Imis Maddie here & my kitty is a softy usually hides I decided it was best she slept in the kitchen & it was weird - Kitty was not happy with that at all. Can't describe how but we both knew she wasn't It was almost like she was huffing so not sure how we are going to deal with it this time.

5. Sinead

Sinead Well-Known Member

I have a dog, and what can understand what you saying. As I am ttc-ing at the moment the advice has made me think. I trust my dog completely and so think she would just run and hide (she does this when my niece whose 5mths come round).

Obviously she isn't a guard dog

Sinead

6. Arcanegirl

Arcanegirl Bazinga!!

I already know how my dog and cat will behave as we have had my neice over here alot. They will have a sniif but its because they are curious. My dog likes to be in the middle of anything so i trained him to lay down on command so he can lay next to me when im playing/changing/doing whatever with my neice.

7. Suz

Suz ~ I are a Nerd ~

I think that it all depends on the dog and owner relationship. Now I know that Storm would be a perfect angel whoever, If I brought a new baby home today, I really wouldnt know about my new dog. We are still establishing who is the boss. So if a person has no controll over there pet then that could be a problem. And just to add, we chose Boxers for our dogs because we read that they are wonderfull with childern. That was a big factor for us when picking a breed.

Suz

8. Pumpkin

My mother trains service dogs and believe me when I say you may know your dog, but they are still dogs and while 99% of the time they will do just as you have all said, being faced with a new baby who screams and smells funny and all that can trigger a reaction.

Just be careful ladies, I am sure all of your pets will be great!

9. marley2580

marley2580 Well-Known Member

I agree. That's why it is very important to be able to read your dog's body language. A dog will let you know if they are unhappy or not.

10. Pumpkin

oh oh oh!! we are due at the same time! lol

11. LynnieH

LynnieH Well-Known Member

Frankie loves out puppy Sally. She is 3 weeks younger than Frankie. The dog gets pnched, pulled and her ears get sucked but she has never let out a murmer. However with Jonny she is a menace constantly pulling him around by the leg of his jeans!