"you'll know when you're in labour"

alice&bump

mummy to katie
Reaction score
will i?? how do you know??!! what if i dont realise? am gettin a bit worried that i wont know now!

You will honestly! It was easy for me last time as my waters went first! But you'll know when contractions really start as with me i had like period pains and then when they turned into regular pains I knew that it was labour. I know it's hard to imagine but honestly "you do know" x

You will know hun dont worry! Mine started with period cramps that werent painful but uncomfortable and they were coming every 10 - 15mins or so and although i had never experinced labour or wasnt in much pain i just knew it was the start. Then eventually after about 6 - 8 hours they got very painful and more regular. Hope this helps :hugs:

You will know, but its kind of hard to know when to go to the hospital.

My pains started around noon, which were like period cramps. I napped a bit and when I woke up they were still coming on every once in awhile. Through out the afternoon they kept getting stronger. You just know. I had a bath and they would really take my breath away. My OH made me go to the hospital at 7 pm and I was 4 cm dilated and my waters were trickling but I didn't notice that part. :)

I'm gonna throw a spanner in the works. I've given birth 5 times previously and 3 of those times I really wasn't sure if my tummy tightening was anything to get excited about, got checked out "just in case" and was 4 cms dilated....I really didn't know I was in labour at that time as the tightenings didn't hurt at all, just uncomfortable.

One of the other times I was at my 38wk antenatal check and said I was worried etc (coz I lost the 1st two babies) so consultant said she's bring me in for induction 2 days later but wanted to examine me there and then to see what kind of induction method I may need.
When she was examining me she started to laugh...I asked what was funny and she said

"Heather, you're 4-5cms dilated....did you not know?":dohh::blush:

Last birth....I was in hospital for overnight observation after having a bit of a tumble on my way home from the morning school run. When they checked baby's heart they said they weren't completely happy with it and wanted to keep me in to check it again later on. So I stayed, checked again later and baby was fine.

When I woke up I thought "right, how do I get out of here asap?". Went to the loo and discovered I'd had a show, also had a cramp but thought it was wind. I told the midwife who put me on the monitor. As soon as she left the room............shit.......contractions every minute or so, each one more painful than the last. I buzzed for the midwife and said I wanted an epidural, she laughed and asked what I was talking about....then saw the monitor. I was 4cm's and rushed up to delivery, hubby got there just in time and Toby was born less than 2 hours after I had woken up. OMG...I hope my labour doesn't go that quick this time:wacko:

If in doubt, check it out:rofl:. My waters only ever broke right at the end of each labour so that's not always the 1st sign.

I'm sure you'll be fine chick:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Hmmm yea i'm also worrying about this, my mum said that her waters didnt break with any of us until right before we were born..so it was harder to tell. Also told me she had no signs she was going to go into labour at any time soon just woke up and she was in labour. Not that it was quick with me was 48 hours :shock: I hope my LO isnt that mean to me!!! All i got told is that its constant and never ending :lol: sooooo much to look forward tooooooo!!!!

If you don't notice you're in labour I'm going to be so jealous!!!

one of my friends was in labour 2 days and didnt know!

I was going to ask this also I dont know what to exspect apart from pain. But I get the odd braxton hick to i assume its that with pain. worried about throwing up with pain and read some had dioreaha and I dont want any embarassing sceens in the car on the way up.

also my mums waters did not break with any of her kids. Not even me.

I've had mixed reports about this. Some say 'Yes, you'll know' and others didn't have a clue. Guess we won't know until we get there, eh?

:dohh:

i keep gettin period pains on and off so i'm like, is that what its gona feel like, or will it feel different or what?! cos when i get the period pains my bump tightens too and sometimes its like, well well well sore!! and i'm gettin a load of pains where i'm assumin she's headbutting me. when my mum had me she had her show at like 8 am, then went and did flowers for the ball she wasgoing to in the evening, was putting on her ball gown that evening and her waters broke, 2 hours later there i was. so i'm like, erm how will i know!! plus all her pains were in her back and legs not her tummy!!

i found i just knew :) it started as period pains and period back ache and just getting worse and regular. my waters never went naturally, the hospital broke them, i was really hoping for them to go and the perfect sign! but i've found you just 'no', i remember waking up OH and saying - 'its time' and him saying, 'are you sure, you've said this before he he', but i just knew. good luck to all though ready and waiting :hugs:

I'm gonna throw a spanner in the works. I've given birth 5 times previously and 3 of those times I really wasn't sure if my tummy tightening was anything to get excited about, got checked out "just in case" and was 4 cms dilated....I really didn't know I was in labour at that time as the tightenings didn't hurt at all, just uncomfortable.

One of the other times I was at my 38wk antenatal check and said I was worried etc (coz I lost the 1st two babies) so consultant said she's bring me in for induction 2 days later but wanted to examine me there and then to see what kind of induction method I may need.
When she was examining me she started to laugh...I asked what was funny and she said

"Heather, you're 4-5cms dilated....did you not know?":dohh::blush:

Last birth....I was in hospital for overnight observation after having a bit of a tumble on my way home from the morning school run. When they checked baby's heart they said they weren't completely happy with it and wanted to keep me in to check it again later on. So I stayed, checked again later and baby was fine.

When I woke up I thought "right, how do I get out of here asap?". Went to the loo and discovered I'd had a show, also had a cramp but thought it was wind. I told the midwife who put me on the monitor. As soon as she left the room............shit.......contractions every minute or so, each one more painful than the last. I buzzed for the midwife and said I wanted an epidural, she laughed and asked what I was talking about....then saw the monitor. I was 4cm's and rushed up to delivery, hubby got there just in time and Toby was born less than 2 hours after I had woken up. OMG...I hope my labour doesn't go that quick this time:wacko:

If in doubt, check it out:rofl:. My waters only ever broke right at the end of each labour so that's not always the 1st sign.

I'm sure you'll be fine chick:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

:shock:Flipping heck!!! x

Hevz is right... Its hard to tell.

The period pains can happen for weeks with noting else happening :( It does mean that your cervix is softening though. I asked cause ive been having bad pelvic pains, and period pains since before 34w and it is apparently normal. Actually alot of pre-labour things can happen week before actualy labour... back pain, pelvic pain, sharp cervical pains, nausea, BH's etc...

I think the main things to look for are really strong contractions that are regular (for more then 2 hours, BH's can be regular too sometimes and painful). Also remember your uterus is a muscle, and the BH's are toning it, so you may very well get sore, just like any work out.

You can always ask for an internal at your next appointment to check your cervix and dilation etc...

I've noticed for about over a week my pelvis is really swollen and squishy, so hopefully that means something too :D

Now I am more confused about it all. I can see me landing at hospitals for false labours and being a tortor if i start getting it weeks before. Sounds enough to drive someone mad! I just hope baby dosnt mess about and wants out when it does.

Now I am more confused about it all. I can see me landing at hospitals for false labours and being a tortor if i start getting it weeks before. Sounds enough to drive someone mad! I just hope baby dosnt mess about and wants out when it does.

Totally agree!! Reading this I'm like I've got that, had that.......

I'm too wondering if i'll know..... The past few days I've had regular painful BH and period pains, losing my plug too.
I'm just hoping I'll know.....but will keep an eye on this thread!!

I fear giving birth at home with no docs or anythig or in a ca on the way up! And if it starts early i will be bricking it literally until proper labor. I bet I go over due saying all this now as apparently you do with your first. Hope I am like my mum and we all arrive on time with no problems. I just shot right out apparently. Sounds nice lol

lol dont get your hopes up dragonfly, i was convinced katie was coming at 36 weeks. i'd said it all thru my pregnancy. and now look at me, sat here at 38 weeks dead fed up and pissed off cos i thought itwould be over by now!!

and as for waiting for regular pains for 2 hours, my mum had had me and my sister by that point!!!!

and as for waiting for regular pains for 2 hours, my mum had had me and my sister by that point!!!!

Guess you should call your hospital or wherever if it starts happening then to check... The hospital would monitor you for a couple hours and if there was an irregularity in contractions or they began to slow down or stop then you'd know they were BH's.

Depends on the person im sure, just like most other pregnancy related issues!

I had a feeling I was in labour, because the pain was nothing id yet experienced (my pain started a few days before giving birth..) I was sleeping a lot, could only get comfy in one position, felt ill, sore tummy, sore down there, terrible back ache, so tired etc etc - so for me, I KNEW. Even though I knew, I did still doubt myself thinking "hmm, maybe im over exaggerating, maybe's it's not that bad!" YEA right, I soon found out how "not bad" it was a few days/hours later lol.:rofl:

Some people have a lot of pain in their pregnancy, for me I got general back ache and a few braxton hicks/cramping pains, but nothing terrible like some women talk about - so maybe thats why I knew I was in labour.

I think you will have a rough idea if you're very in tune with your body and whats normal in your pregnancy. Always better to be safe than sorry though!

I had regular period pains too, but the ones when you are in labour are a lot stronger! They will take your breath away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->