young mom assumptions (another rant, sorry!)

H

HerdingDogs

I went to the Buy Buy Baby store yesterday to buy some belly stickers to take my weekly photos with. I was going to do month and then tally marks on the month for weeks. Not creative, but all I have haha. So I went and bought the stickers and a water bottle (I have one at work, but I wanted one at home) that says mom. Oh and I bought a frame for the ultrasound I'll have next month. The lady rang me up, and then the cashier was explaining their new return policy. Then she wrapped up her speech with, "In any case, you should keep the receipt in case she wants to return any of these gifts."

Excuse me? She? I bought them for myself! I understand I'm 25, and I have a young face. People tell me all the time that I look like I'm still in high school. One of my parents last year (I taught 5th grade), actually came in asked me, "Do you know who Ms. Brown is?" - Hi, nice to meet you! I'm Ms. Brown! - "Oh, haha! I thought you were a 5th grader." So I mean it happens. I'm short, I kind of have a round face. But really. Irked me a bit. Thanks for letting me rant so much! I only rant because I don't get to go to krav and hit things haha.

it's never been a big problem to me when they mistake me for being younger. i like being seen as cute and younger than i am!

im a 20 year old petite girl, 7 months behind my boyfriend's age. but i work with him in a place that sells alcohol and liquor every now and then. alot of customers ask how old i am and if im old enough to even sell these things to them. they think im 15 or 16! now that they notice my belly, they just ask what school i go to lol and then they say if their children go to it or not.

I know how you feel! I'm 26 and I teach 4th grade.. Some of my kids are bigger than me!

I've always been tall so I haven't had many issues looking like students (plus, my students are 6...) but just today I had a nurse taking my blood make a comment about how she keeps seeing all these kids with early 90s/late 80s birthdays having babies and how we are so young, we should enjoy it. Ummmm, I'm 27. Lol

I'm sure it's because you don't look pregnant that she assumed it was for someone else. Not that you might look young.

I was 19 when I got pregnant with my son (completely planned). Me and my husband (he's 7 years older) have a house, car, jobs etc. I have the issue of looking really young, about 13/14, albeit a very overweight 13/14 year old lol!

But I had the looks and comments when I started showing. It made me mad as people didn't know my situation, they just assumed I was a teenage mum who wasn't careful enough and was going to live on the dole for the rest of my life!

I get even more shocked looks now though lol as I'm a childminder and frequently have 3 or more kids ranging from 1 to 6 with me and still only look about 15/16! Haha! Just wait until I'm showing with this one, it'll be even more hilarious!!!!

Don't let the comments and stuff get to you, just laugh off the ignorance. Your life is no one else's business xxx

Its so frustrating. When I returned to work after having nyghter we had a new boss. We got chatting and she asked what my boyfriend did for a living. I corrected her saying he was my husband to which she asked was I old enough to be married. Im an RGN, of course I am!!! Im 25 but do look about 18. Xxx

Aw I bet she didn't mean anything by it, if I saw someone buying mum things and they didn't look pregnant I'd probably assume it was for someone else. I look young for my age (or at least I do when I'm not exhausted after a night of no sleep, then I look about 50 :haha:) and I feel a little self conscious sometimes but I think a lot of it is just down to me, rather than other people thinking anything negative.

I get that too, I went looking for a wedding dress and the shop assitant took me to the prom section... I was so embarresed I just randomly touched 2 or 3 dresses as if I was browsing then walked out

I still get ID'd too, I was out with 5 other people and me and 3 others had our kids (mine was the oldest at 5 years where as the others where babies) and went to lunch where you get 'beer and a burger' although we ordered cider instead (cant stand beer) I was 25 the other parents where 18 and 19 but I was the only one that got ID'd

I also got told by one cashier that I was too young and my DS must obviously be my little brother

It's far more insulting to assume someone IS pregnant than to assume they're not, can you imagine if you'd been buying for a gift and the cashier was assuming they were for you? You'd be paranoid about looking pregnant for the rest of the week :haha:

She was in a lose lose situation poor thing. But I understand why it's insulting for you, I get carded for buying booze and I'm 31 (legal age is 18 here). Nobodies opinion matters but your own. H&H 9 months!

I've always been tall so I haven't had many issues looking like students (plus, my students are 6...) but just today I had a nurse taking my blood make a comment about how she keeps seeing all these kids with early 90s/late 80s birthdays having babies and how we are so young, we should enjoy it. Ummmm, I'm 27. Lol

lol I was born in 89 and nearly 26... obviously too young to be a mum :haha:

wonder weather she cant count of if she can what age she thinks is appropriate :dohh:

The nurse was perhaps simply commenting on how in her mind, people in that age bracket are young. Was she an older nurse? I am 28 but people in their 50s and 60s tell me I'm young all the time...not in a bad way, just to remind us that life is a gift and we have a lot of time!!

I totally get it. I was 23 when I was pregnant with my dd so a lot of people, including family, used to make remarks (usually behind my back) about how I should have waited. Whatever. I'm 26 now, and I've learned not to let it bother me. It's a little easier this time around bc a lot of the girls I went to high school with are finally having kids lol

I get offered gift receipts and the, "here is the gift rec if she needs to bring anything back", almost anytime I shop in BRU and don't have my baby with me. I'd assume it's more about not looking pregnant than anything else.

Lol somehow I think she is having math issues when it comes to the 80s I mean what does she expect? I was born in 1985 and will be 30 by the time my baby arrives, not exactly late 80s but I have been "ready" for a few years now. This is our time to be breeding! :p

However I will agree with her that when I am at the OB or on forums (not in particular this one but some others) I feel old compared to a lot of the women having babies. Although I suppose I don't find that here because even the younger moms seem to conduct themselves maturely, but on another forum I read that couldn't be further from the truth.

Hi ladies! Sorry, I fell asleep and then was at work.

I am SO glad I am not alone in this struggle. :) I just needed to vent, and I'm glad so many of you could come and share and make me giggle.

For me, I wasn't offended so much as hurt. I was so happy buying my sentimental baby bump stuff, just came from Barnes and Noble where I picked up the Dr. Suess in utero book and another journal. I went in for a book to give the dad, but I didn't like any. So when she made the comment, it kind of killed my pregnancy high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac9w0rKTRPM What baby?!

Awww I understand the whole "having the pregnancy high" killed thing. I have felt that a lot, too. Just try to totally push those people aside. Keeep on smiling and keep on being happy because those negative nancy types will come and go so fast! Your happy pregnancy will be here for a while!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->