• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Younger Siblings

Caezzybe

Mummy to Logan & Jasmine
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm getting near term now with baby number 2 (my first child Logan has Down Syndrome and he will be around 15 months old when the new baby arrives).

I was wondering how other parents with special needs children cope when there is a younger new arrival in the house? Logan is probably at about the same physical development stage as a 6 month old. He is in (or on the waiting list for) several regular therapy sessions and still has lots of medical appointments.

Does anyone who has been/is in a similar situation have any general hints, tips or coping strategies?

I don't, but I'd be willing to read your hints & tips in a few months' time as we're trying for number two :D

I only have Ruby who is younger than M but I feel like although a great deal of her life is taken up by M, she also has an understanding to grow up with and be accepting. She goes to a few groups for siblings and she enjoys them x

I can't help at all, but just wanted to say it's not long now! We'll both have little sisters for our boys in just a few short weeks!!! :D I'm worried about how my LO will handle it, because he takes all of my time right now. He also has quite a few appointments, so #2 will be doing lots more travelling than he did at her age.
We'll see how it goes though! :hugs:

Findlay is around the same stage now as a 6 month old and he has been an absolute star with Iona. He's very very gentle with her and has never shown the slightest hint of any jealousy and is happy to share us and his beloved nurses with her.

I can't give any other advice as Iona is only 5 months, still in hospital and she has special needs as well so I've no idea about the whole 'sibling of a child with SN' bits but I'm sure there are bound to be people on here who can give you lots of advice on it. I think there is actually a book out for children who have a sibling with DS.

I'd just say take it as it comes, Logan may just take the new arrival totally in his stride :thumbup:

My son will be 16 months old when his little brother enters the world. He has T21, and although is progressing well, he still is only crawling backwards and sitting, walking is along way off in the future still.

I don't have first hand experience yet but know of lots of parents of children with Down Syndrome who have another child soon afterwards. I've never heard a single one say it wasn't the best decision they ever made. Apparently they learn from eachother and grow up very very close. I have no doubt that my boys will be super close, and the wee bug will inspire Levi's progress too.

Kelana is much younger than Makena (who has ASD). just don't ever leave them in the same room alone...not even for a second. Otherwise, there has been no issues...just overloving (hugging to death) etc...which I monitor. I don't know any different, so everything is the way it is...you will be fine. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"