Your Egg Retrieval Experience?

Hopethisyear

Reaction score
I'd love to hear about everyone's ER experiences! Did you experience OHSS? Did you take several days off work? What do you wish you knew or did different? Good luck ladies!!!

Hi mine was ok and went really quick, first I was given an iv of paracetamol before EC and also a tamazepam, nurse said would probably make me feel sleepy but it didnt at all lol
I knew I had a lot of follicles so it was already decided I would be doing a freeze all due to the risk of ohss which I just had mild in the end
I went down to the treatment room when the iv drip was finished and got on the bed there, there were a lot of people in the room but 1 nurse who was looking after me throughout the morning stayed by my side so that was nice, the Dr explained what he was going to do and first the anaesthetic was put into the cannula in my hand, I was also given an oxygen mask
Everything was explained throughout and although I thought I would ne more sedated I didnt really feel it but at the same time didnt feel anything that was happening, they kept saying I could shut my eyes but I just didnt feel the need to
After o was wheeled back to the little ward, I didnt fall asleep ot anything amd after a shoDr while had a cup of tea and biscuit then we were ready to go home after I had sorted more meds to prevent ohss
The whole thing was fine amd quick, I wasnt in pain and I stayed awake until 9pm which is good considering I was up at 4am to get there!
I was also given painkillers through the cannula during but I cant Remember what they were
Good luck!

My experiences have been similar but slightly difference.

I get taken into the treatment room and a cannula put into my hand once they put the anaesthetic in I was out for the count and remember nothing. The next thing I knew I was being woken up in the recovery room by a nurse who would check my blood pressure on a regular basis, make me drink a cup of tea and eat some toast. Once I was feeling ok I could go home. Each time my collection has been at 9am and I have left by lunchtime. Its over so quickly. They recommend to take it easy for the rest of the day. Depending on how many follicles you have you might want to take the next day off work as you might be a little tender. For me the collection is the easy part.

Best of luck for your up coming cycle :flower:

I went in very early morning for mine and it took a very short amount of time. Got there, disrobed and gowned up, IV in and the last thing I remember is the anesthesiologist joking about preparing to enjoy my morning cocktail :haha: Woke up in another room groggy but in no pain and headed home shortly after I was steady enough on my feet. I had mild/moderate bleeding on my pad when I got home but no more after that. I was a stay at home mom with older kids so I was glad that I had time to rest the next couple of days because I did find myself a bit sore/crampy/bloated. No OHSS for me though.

What I didn't know that I wish I did or would have done differently? It's not all about the preliminary numbers. I fretted so much over those darn numbers lol. Based on my estrogen (I want to say?) levels they said I'd be lucky if we retrieved 4-5. That after a very long stim period because my body just wasn't cooperating. As this was our only shot at IVF I was devastated before even going in knowing the odds of all those 4-5 being mature and developing to blast stage was slim to none. When I came to I was overjoyed to learn they'd actually retrieved **11** 8 of those were mature and we ended up with two perfect 5 day blasts we transferred that went on to become the six month old boys I hold in my arms today :happydance:

I wish you the best of luck! :flower:

Thanks for sharing your story messica. We are currently on our 3rd cycle and its our worst so far for follicles, after a long and high dose stim period I am going in for EC Friday and we'll lucky be if we get 3 eggs, I am hoping and praying one turns into an embryo to transfer. Your story has given me some hope.

Congratulations on your twins :flower:

I will be keeping fingers and toes crossed for you pinkie!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->