your opinions on best breast pump

2ndtimer

Reaction score
hi all, i am having my 4th child first i breast fed for 2 months both others i ff. this time i am going to breast feed as long as possible and would like your opinions on the breast pumps before he is due and also a little advice on speeding up your supply i.e did you express prior to baby being born, can you freeze how long does expressed milk last etc, all advice is greatly appreciated x

I bought the ameda purely yours electric pump and I love it!
I took fenugreek in the beginning and it helped with my milk supply.

thank you what is fenugreek and where can i get some, did you take it straight away after birth or before birth, sorry for all the questions but i want to get it right this time x

I have the Tommie Tippee Manual Pump and IMO it's pants, the suction isnt very good and I dont get much off if I try and pump x

thank you what is fenugreek and where can i get some, did you take it straight away after birth or before birth, sorry for all the questions but i want to get it right this time x

I bought the fenugreek at bulk barn or most pharmacies. I took 4 capsules a day.
Here is a link to some info on fenugreek:https://kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/fenugreek.html

Hope this helps

It isn't advised by BF experts to take fenugreek or any other medication herbal or conventional to increase milk supply right from the start because an oversupply is actually more common than undersupply; and if you have an oversupply it may result in your baby not getting enough of the fatty milk at the end of the feed which can lead to them being unsettled and not gaining weight well; instead they advise only taking such things if after several weeks there are serious issues with baby gaining weight or other signs of undersupply. Fenugreek can have side effects even though it is a natural product.

Your milk will come in at 3-5 days regardless of what you do beforehand to 'speed up' your supply; the best way to bring your milk in well is to BF frequently during the first few days, every 1-2 hours if possible and frequently swapping sides, at first you will have colostrum and this is enormously beneficial for your baby and there isn't any point in expressing it unless its impossible for your baby to latch on or you have gestational diabetes and need to express the colostrum to give to your baby to keep their blood sugar levels steady.

Breast pumps different ones work for different ladies; and it depends what you need it for; if its occasional expressing or even up to 3x a week a manual pump is fine; if its more frequent than that you may want to get an electric pump, medea, ameda, lansinoh and spectra are all good brands. You can freeze expressed breast milk for up to 6 months but bear in mind breastmilk changes in composition for your baby as they get older, so its best to use any frozen breastmilk within 2-3 months to ensure the composition of it is right for your baby at their current age. In the fridge, at the back of the fridge and not in the door, and with a temperature of no higher than 4 degrees c, breastmilk will last for 5-7 days though its better to use it within 72 hours. xx

I have the tommee tippee closer to nature one and I had a try the other day and thought it was great. I got it from Asda for about £16

Summer rain has given you great advice there! Just to add if you are really wanting to breastfeed do not introduce a bottle or dummy before 8 weeks or later if you can as it interferes with baby taking the breast and exclusive expressing is no small task. I have been doing it for 6 months now and envy those who can just nip.

It isn't advised by BF experts to take fenugreek or any other medication herbal or conventional to increase milk supply right from the start because an oversupply is actually more common than undersupply; and if you have an oversupply it may result in your baby not getting enough of the fatty milk at the end of the feed which can lead to them being unsettled and not gaining weight well; instead they advise only taking such things if after several weeks there are serious issues with baby gaining weight or other signs of undersupply. Fenugreek can have side effects even though it is a natural product.

Your milk will come in at 3-5 days regardless of what you do beforehand to 'speed up' your supply; the best way to bring your milk in well is to BF frequently during the first few days, every 1-2 hours if possible and frequently swapping sides, at first you will have colostrum and this is enormously beneficial for your baby and there isn't any point in expressing it unless its impossible for your baby to latch on or you have gestational diabetes and need to express the colostrum to give to your baby to keep their blood sugar levels steady.

Breast pumps different ones work for different ladies; and it depends what you need it for; if its occasional expressing or even up to 3x a week a manual pump is fine; if its more frequent than that you may want to get an electric pump, medea, ameda, lansinoh and spectra are all good brands. You can freeze expressed breast milk for up to 6 months but bear in mind breastmilk changes in composition for your baby as they get older, so its best to use any frozen breastmilk within 2-3 months to ensure the composition of it is right for your baby at their current age. In the fridge, at the back of the fridge and not in the door, and with a temperature of no higher than 4 degrees c, breastmilk will last for 5-7 days though its better to use it within 72 hours. xx

thank you so much!! was hoping to express every day, hubby likes to feed whenever he is home!! do you heat breast milk out of the fridge in a jug of boiled water for a few minutes also

honestly six weeks is not long; and your hubby can do other things in that time to bond with LO; it really is worth it to establish a good supply and prevent nipple confusion. Yes you can heat the milk in hot water if it has been in the fridge; but be aware that the newer type of bottles can melt or be damaged by boiling water from the kettle, very hot tap water is usually plenty to warm them and won't cause any damage to the bottle xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->