• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Your thoughts on baby listening services in hotels?

lau86

Reaction score
Hubby has flat out refused a foreign holiday next yr with the 2 LO so I've been looking for something in the uk. I've found what looks like a lovely place in Cornwall called the sands resort and it gets really good reviews on trip advisor for being a very easy holiday with children.
They offer a free baby listening service in the evening which alot of people seem to use. But the idea of leaving my children in a hotel room to go and have dinner makes me feel uneasy. They would be 6 months and nearly 3 by the time we go.
Its all a bit theoretical at the moment because if no. 2 is a bad sleeper it won't be happening anyway but the other option is to have 'family dining' with all the families who have children under 8 (they have 'zoned' areas) and I can imagine that being a bit like feeding time at the Zoo. I am torn between just booking something self catering but I would like a break from cooking.

Soooo what do you think. Would you use the baby listening or just go with the family Dining? Anyone had any experience of this?

No experience of baby listening but I would not be happy trusting someone I don't know to listen in on my children while I was off somewhere else in the hotel. I think I'd just go for family dining. I tend to find that when we are out to a meal with our boys I am so focused on them I'm not really worried about what is going on around me.

Hi love. If I'm honest, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable someone just listening in at the door, I'd worry about more than just crying, and my two are nearly three. I'm a real worrier though, haha. The family dining will definitely be like feeding time at the zoo, but I would just do that! It won't be particularly relaxing but at least you don't have to worry about cooking and cleaning up xx

I've not heard of this, what do they do exactly? I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my children in a room though, just because something is quiet doesn't mean all is ok and if they actually check in on them I wouldn't want strangers doing this. I'm not at all a Molly coddler, my son stayed with my mum for nights from 6 months and I have used babysitters so by most parents' standards on this forum I am a more "relaxed" type, but no I wouldn't be comfortable with this not even if they were older, sounds terrible unless I am misunderstanding the situation but first thing that comes to my head is Madeleine McCann. Would certainly give the group dining a go though because DS tends to eat better around children! Hope you find something, we recently did a self catered house with wider family in Devon, they looked after DS one night so we could go out.

What exactly is the baby listening service, my parents used to take us to a place where there were built in baby monitors and you switched them on, then someone would be listening to the and the parents would be got if the kids were upset/cried etc. not sure if I would use it but what we always do on hol is book a babysitter for one night and have one/two nights with the kids xx

Honestly...it's not something I would even consider . I just wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my child in a unfamiliar room alone x

Never in a million years. Any baby listening I have read about is a built in listening device to a room and the person listening in (usually on reception) only hers each room about every 10 mins. I honestly don't know how something like that is legal! Imagine what could happen in 10 mins...,,, two words spring to mind .... Madeline McCann

Never in a million years. Any baby listening I have read about is a built in listening device to a room and the person listening in (usually on reception) only hers each room about every 10 mins. I honestly don't know how something like that is legal! Imagine what could happen in 10 mins...,,, two words spring to mind .... Madeline McCann

I've not heard of this, what do they do exactly? I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my children in a room though, just because something is quiet doesn't mean all is ok and if they actually check in on them I wouldn't want strangers doing this. I'm not at all a Molly coddler, my son stayed with my mum for nights from 6 months and I have used babysitters so by most parents' standards on this forum I am a more "relaxed" type, but no I wouldn't be comfortable with this not even if they were older, sounds terrible unless I am misunderstanding the situation but first thing that comes to my head is Madeleine McCann. Would certainly give the group dining a go though because DS tends to eat better around children! Hope you find something, we recently did a self catered house with wider family in Devon, they looked after DS one night so we could go out.

Essentially you leave the children in the hotel room, switch a baby monitor on and a member of staff listens in for you whilst you eat, if they hear anything they come and get you. I don't think I will be comfortable with it. There is a baby sitting option too which we might take up if we find someone we like.
I completely agree, I was thinking that even though it was quiet something could be going on. I can't see myself relaxing to eat anyway which defeats the point.

Essentially you leave the children in the hotel room, switch a baby monitor on and a member of staff listens in for you whilst you eat, if they hear anything they come and get you. I don't think I will be comfortable with it. There is a baby sitting option too which we might take up if we find someone we like.
I completely agree, I was thinking that even though it was quiet something could be going on. I can't see myself relaxing to eat anyway which defeats the point.

Ah I see, good idea in theory but yeah I don't think I would be comfortable with it. Yeah I would be more inclined to use the babysitting service.

I would go for the family dining personally. I would not feel comfortable leaving my LO in a room on his own.

I don't think I could even use a strange baby sitter

When we go on holiday we usually all eat together

I wouldn't leave my little ones, wouldn't enjoy myself at all :( The only thing I'd do is just enjoy it as a family thing, or perhaps ask a family member to come along that would be more than happy to take care or LO's xx

Would never leave my children with a stranger, whether they're awake or asleep. I honestly don't understand how people can be so trustworthy as to leave their children with people who could be anybody and who could do anything!

Sorry but something I feel very strongly about

Well this is what I was thinking! Most of the people on trip advisor were talking about it like it was just the natural thing to do, but they're all just nameless reviewers so I wanted to get some context really. I really do think it would 99% be fine but you just can't be sure can you.

Eta I am keeping an open mind about the babysitting, I am not completely against someone who I don't know looking after them if my instincts say they are ok and I can be nearby to pop in and check. I think we will have most meals as a family but I would be lying if I said I didn't want one or two to be just me and hubby. The hotel is renowned for catering for families too.

I really wouldn't be comfortable with this either, the general rule of thumbs with toddlers is that quiet usually means trouble! They need someone to physically be there to watch them imo, listening does not prevent abduction or the child being out of ear shot etc

Well this is what I was thinking! Most of the people on trip advisor were talking about it like it was just the natural thing to do, but they're all just nameless reviewers so I wanted to get some context really. I really do think it would 99% be fine but you just can't be sure can you.

Eta I am keeping an open mind about the babysitting, I am not completely against someone who I don't know looking after them if my instincts say they are ok and I can be nearby to pop in and check. I think we will have most meals as a family but I would be lying if I said I didn't want one or two to be just me and hubby. The hotel is renowned for catering for families too.

I feel the same, I am assuming the babysitting service will be with properly qualified and checked people (something I would check first) and then to me it's no different to using a nursery or childminder which we do, I've never used a babysitter I don't know at all before, but like you I would keep an open mind.

Would it be an option to get the baby fed early and to sleep in pushchair then the 3 of you eat together wen baby is asleep?

Would it be an option to get the baby fed early and to sleep in pushchair then the 3 of you eat together wen baby is asleep?

I've got no idea ha. This is the baby that hasn't even been born yet!! (There's an early bird discount on the hotel). I think that is probably what we will end up doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"