Your unnecessary & essential baby purchases

I have read all the way through the thread and want to say thanks to all those who have contributed so far – it is going to be helpful looking back through it when we start buying a lot of the larger items (after the 20 week scan).

I have already started buying a few items from car boot sales. We are getting certain things second hand but to be honest a lot of the stuff I have brought from our local car boot sale has been brand new anyway. Just this week I picked up a brand new baby bath, top and tail bowl and bath sponge to rest baby on in the proper bath if we wish to bathe them that way for £1 (yes that is for all three things) ok so some people may find them unnecessary but for that price I am willing to give them a go.

As I’m buying thing so cheaply to start off I don’t mind if some of the things don’t get used that much really :)

I was lucky enough to win a bottle warmer in a competition but reading this thread has made me consider selling it and using the money towards something else now.

I thought my must have was my pushchair. I spent ages researching pushchairs and bought the perfect one.

But somehow its never used :dohh: LO prefers being in our sling (moby wrap) so I sort of wish I'd waited to see.....he is a refluxy baby so prefers being upright :dohh:

Must haves: a seat / swing or bouncer thing for downstairs / naps / anywhere

Muslins - used millions

Scratch mits! LO looked liked he'd been mauled by a tiger on day 1 alone :dohh:

Oh and I have drawers of baby wipes I bought but we carried on using cotton wool and water after coming out of hospital so they're wasted :dohh:

This is my list for our first born and some of them aren't probably even essential. We are co-sleeping with a cot attached to bed as our bed not big enough, breastfeeding, babywearing and cloth nappying. We are buying all new or unused off ebay so the items will last for 2 or 3 children that we plan to have:

Cot, mattress, 2x jersey sheets
2x Grobags 0-6m
Car seat 0-4 yrs (we don't have a car but for outings with family who do)
I have knitted 2 blankets, a shawl and baby leg warmers as we are babywearing
Little Lamb birth to potty bamboo nappy kit (£150 for full set unused off Ebay), also got bamboo breast pads and baby wipes to supplement using cotton wool
Cotton wool, maternity pads
Muslin cloths (already have a pack minus 1bought to make small cloths for my husband to wipe his matcha teaware clean!)
Wrapsody wrap (like Moby wrap but batiked so is more supportive and slightly less stretchy but soft jersey cotton, bought barely used for £30)
Nursing bras
Folding changing mat
Bibs, hats, scratch mitts, 6 sleep suits 0-3m, 6 long sleeve vests 0-3m, cardigan, warmer all-in-one for outdoors

We wanted to keep our baby buying to a minimum and it suits the way we will parent, so no pram/pushchair or fancy items as we don't think any of it is necessary. This list won't be right for everyone but thought I would give an idea of how little you can buy and not having to buy wipes, nappies or milk every week will keep everything simpler and more natural for us. We will use our own towels, double up wipes/flannels/nappy boosters/fleecy liners in nappies for wiping and face cleaning. Yes, things don't always go to plan in our parenting choices but this is our plan!

This is a very helpful thread! I've been making up my registry so I don't forget anything and as I was, I was looking at everyone's responses - helped me to remember a bunch of things I didn't think of!

Very useful I have just sat here and wrote myself a good to buy list and wow it is long....but from Monday (after the scan) the fun bit shopping!!!!

xxx

Bumping this up for the next round of expecting and new mommies. :) Enjoy!

Bumping this up for the next round of expecting and new mommies. :) Enjoy!

Brill, thank you, i'm going to try and write all of this down before i start my shopping (which will be very soon :happydance:).

Really helpful, thank youu! x

worst thing was a bumbo, my son had chuncky legs so only fit for a week!

best buy changing mats for upstairs and downstairs, and a baby box for both too, keeps everything at hand.

worst thing was a bumbo, my son had chuncky legs so only fit for a week!

best buy changing mats for upstairs and downstairs, and a baby box for both too, keeps everything at hand.

I was wondering about the bumbo. Glad I never got one. Our little guy has super thighs!

I had way to many baby blankets & they were all gifts! Recently, a lady told me she put on her baby shower invitations or something that she didn't need/want blankets. I never bothered with shoes, but he did have warm slippers to wear, especially in the cold months. I actually never had a crib for my son, he went from the bassinet to a playpen (not the smaller pack & play type) & then onto a toddler bed. I'm sure there are other things but it's been quite a while since I had a baby (he's 5 now), so those are just a couple things off the top of my head.

It's been 14 years since I had a baby- this thread has been quite useful! I must agree with the over marketing someone stated- they make you THINK babies need all that!
The one thing I know I used tons of was receiving blankets- we used them for burp rags, swaddles, sleep wedges to keep newborn on their side, breast feeding shield, clean up rags, you name it!
we are also starting to buy diapers- although at a faster pace than every other week as we're having two (Eeep!), but make sure wherever you get your diapers will let you return/exchange any unopened packs when they grow out of a size!

I'm so pleased that this thread has been useful for so many!

Also, funny. Two people posted back to back. One saying that they had too many blankets and the other saying that they used a ton of them! Just goes to show how individual this all is. Extremely useful but very individual at the end of the day. Certainly helps organize one's thoughts though, doesn't it? :)

This is a great thread:)
As a money saver later on I purchased a babyfood mill. You can also use a food processor if you have one but the babyfood mill is just smaller and easier to clean. I never bought babyfood I made my own. Also once my daughter was bigger and able to eat a broader variety I just started grinding up whatever we were having.

Love receiving blankets and cloth diapers. The cloth diapers we used as diapers, burp rags and after baby was much older and potty trained we used them for dust rags:)

Onesies are fabulous:)

A waste:
shoes before baby can walk (I just put socks on their feet)
A humidifier
bottle warmer, wipe warmer

This is a great thread:)
As a money saver later on I purchased a babyfood mill. You can also use a food processor if you have one but the babyfood mill is just smaller and easier to clean. I never bought babyfood I made my own. Also once my daughter was bigger and able to eat a broader variety I just started grinding up whatever we were having.

Love receiving blankets and cloth diapers. The cloth diapers we used as diapers, burp rags and after baby was much older and potty trained we used them for dust rags:)

Onesies are fabulous:)

A waste:
shoes before baby can walk (I just put socks on their feet)
A humidifier
bottle warmer, wipe warmer

We always have a cool mist humidifier going in our room because it is so dry in our apartment with radiator heat. It's especially handy when baby has a cold and is stuffed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->