You're not pregnant are you?

calm

Reaction score
Have you ever had this question before? I have, about mmm 20 times...

As soon as I met my hubby, even when going out, people would say, uuuu you are getting a bit fat *wink* *wink* The thing was I was just getting fat as the meds I were on at the time had that effect

Then when I made the mistake of queuing in the special checkout where people that are handicapped or pregnant get priority, I was standing behind 4 people with no problem... and the checkout girl shouted over them and they all turned to look as she said "Are you pregnant", as red as a beetroot I said no...

When we got married 3 years ago, even though we had been together for ages and living together for 2 to 3 years, people would automatically assume I was going to get pregnant, and ask that ever so annoying question... (annoying when you are not and not even TTC)

Now I have a healthy weight, even though I want to lose a bit more, and have lost over 3 stone, I have a bmi of about 24 and would like 22 to 23 (vanity as well going on here), but EVEN now, because the bit of weight I have ALWAYS IS ON MY TUM and my legs are long and slim like my arms, people still ask the question. I thought I would get away from that when I lost weight...

A couple of days ago I was wearing a loose dress, and a workmate said

"You're not pregnant are you?" "No" I said, "I am just FAT"

Lol I have been asked this once before, I was with my brother and my sister in Law, being introduced to someone, and my brother said "yes my wife is pregnant with our first child" and she looked at me and said "oooh when is it due??"
I had to say (red faced) that I wasnt the wifer, but that I was his sister! lol x

:hugs: oh huni, peiople can be so insensitive. Tell them that they shouldn't be asking such personal questions! :hugs: Peiople really do infuriate me sometimes xx

I had a woman say that to me after I had Bethanie - "whens your baby due?" I was so embarrassed, I just said "A few months ago, im just fat now.." - she seemed quite awkward lol. Not the most confidence boosting comment!

Don't know what to suggest to you really, people can easily misunderstand (eg - I was buying baby clothes and cotton wool when the lady said that to me) or maybe people think that you must be expecting soon because you're wearing loose clothing or have been with your husband for a good few years. Try not to let it get to you, easier said that done I know!

I went to a fairground once, and fainted on one of the rides (i hadnt eaten properly that day) and the first thing that my mum asked was "youre not pregnant are you?", my boss asked the same at work the next day when i was retelling my story! But, that was the first sign of her pregnancy- so i suppose her mind would automatically think that! I was only 18/19 aswell!!

My MIL once asked me 'you're not expecting are you?' at one of her dinner parties when I couldn't eat everything on my place (I have IBS so I have to be careful what I eat). There was about 10 of us around the table, I didn't know where to look. Another girl who was there and about my age looked embarrassed for me, I don't think she could believe my MIL had put me on the spot like that.

I got asked this today, we took a client to a farm and the smell in the pig pen made me gag and nearly puke, the bloke i work with kept asking me "your not up the duff are you?" I BLOODY WISH!

Could be worse after I told my mom I was getting married, she called my sister and asked her if I was pregnant. My sister then called and told me, I'm just thinking to myself, "Thanks a lot for the vote of confidence."

I've had those comments a few times, but only if I mention feeling unwell.

Edited to add -
I completely forgot. My parents got this question several times on my behalf when my now-husband and I planned and wed in 4 months.

I get this when I refuse to drink. I have endo...the alcohal makes me cramps worse. Not to mention that I just don't like getting shitfaced like my peers. -_-*

When I first went of the Pill, I was in such bad shape that even *I* thought I might be pregnant! I couldn't get mad when almost everyone assumed that i was (very sick, tired, in pain, bloated to HUGE proportion)

I got asked at work and I just said the fat is mine alone... Also in another job a young girl started dancing and prancing singing along to "Rosana is pregnant" and making a belly form with her hand on her stomach... In front of my collegues just because she thought I was pg... So embarrasing.

I got asked at work and I just said the fat is mine alone... Also in another job a young girl started dancing and prancing singing along to "Rosana is pregnant" and making a belly form with her hand on her stomach... In front of my collegues just because she thought I was pg... So embarrasing.

I hoped you gave her one:grr:

My family members often ask if I'm pregnant when I wear an empire-waist top or dress. I keep having to remind them that it is currently a popular style with non-pregnant women as well.

Also, my brothers are away from school, but when they come home for a break they always offer me an alcoholic drink to, in their words, check if I'm pregnant yet. It annoys me, but I am glad that they're excited to be uncles.

At work on Saturday a co-worker randomly told me "You're glowing today, are you pregnant?". I was then later asked by several other people I work with the same thing as apparently they heard her ask. Any type of "glow" I had was in fact sweat!

My family members often ask if I'm pregnant when I wear an empire-waist top or dress. I keep having to remind them that it is currently a popular style with non-pregnant women as well.
QUOTE]

Funny you should say that, i bought a new dress last week which was empire line, and I could see the MIL eyeing it up yesterday when she popped round.
x

QUOTE]

Funny you should say that, i bought a new dress last week which was empire line, and I could see the MIL eyeing it up yesterday when she popped round.
x

Empire line dresses/tops! :rofl: Ive looked pregnant in them ever since i grew boobs! My pregnant friend tried one on, and it made her look 3 months bigger than she was, i tried it on after her, and it made me look about 3 months gone too!

Looking back at some photos of me when i was 16, i was wearing an empire line top to the zoo (this was before Trinny and Susannah taught us that boobs and empire lines do not mix!) and now i realise that i looked pregnant! I didnt notice at the time, but its so funny to think now that people might have presumed i was very young and pregnant (except for the boobs, i looked about 12 at 16!)!
:rofl::rofl:

My mum sometimes asks lol, she says it in a jokey manner, but obviously wants to make sure.

QUOTE]

x

Empire line dresses/tops! :rofl: Ive looked pregnant in them ever since i grew boobs! My pregnant friend tried one on, and it made her look 3 months bigger than she was, i tried it on after her, and it made me look about 3 months gone too!

Looking back at some photos of me when i was 16, i was wearing an empire line top to the zoo (this was before Trinny and Susannah taught us that boobs and empire lines do not mix!) and now i realise that i looked pregnant! I didnt notice at the time, but its so funny to think now that people might have presumed i was very young and pregnant (except for the boobs, i looked about 12 at 16!)!
:rofl::rofl:

That just reminded me of something! My horribly rude friend, my best friend and I where on checkout at the Shoprite and I was wearing one of those shirts. My friend (a new mom) was like, "ARE YOU PREGNANT?!" then lifts up the flowy part of the shirt and starts poking my bloat-bump and asking if I'm sure at the top of her lungs when I said no. If I didn't kill her that day, I'll never kill her. How rude can you get? I was BLOATED. I bloat really bad and yeah, it looks like a real bump..but it's not!!!:hissy:

Even i've been asked this twice by very rude customers whilst working at a supermarket. And I'm only a bit chubby... maybe two dress sizes more than I should be. The uniform isn't very forgiving but both the women gave me such a dirty look when I said no. It was horrible... right in front of my supervisors too. :dohh:

People should learn to keep their mouths shut if they're not going to say something nice or don't know for sure if it's appropiate. It's like as if you answer "no"... and then ask "are you wearing a wig" in response... Very inappropiate and just as rude. How would they feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->