You're not pregnant are you?

Discussion in 'Waiting To Try' started by calm, Apr 6, 2009.

1. calm

calm Administrator
    Administrator Moderator

Have you ever had this question before? I have, about mmm 20 times...

As soon as I met my hubby, even when going out, people would say, uuuu you are getting a bit fat *wink* *wink* The thing was I was just getting fat as the meds I were on at the time had that effect

Then when I made the mistake of queuing in the special checkout where people that are handicapped or pregnant get priority, I was standing behind 4 people with no problem... and the checkout girl shouted over them and they all turned to look as she said "Are you pregnant", as red as a beetroot I said no...

When we got married 3 years ago, even though we had been together for ages and living together for 2 to 3 years, people would automatically assume I was going to get pregnant, and ask that ever so annoying question... (annoying when you are not and not even TTC)

Now I have a healthy weight, even though I want to lose a bit more, and have lost over 3 stone, I have a bmi of about 24 and would like 22 to 23 (vanity as well going on here), but EVEN now, because the bit of weight I have ALWAYS IS ON MY TUM and my legs are long and slim like my arms, people still ask the question. I thought I would get away from that when I lost weight...

A couple of days ago I was wearing a loose dress, and a workmate said

"You're not pregnant are you?" "No" I said, "I am just FAT"

2. bigbloomerz

bigbloomerz Well-Known Member

Lol I have been asked this once before, I was with my brother and my sister in Law, being introduced to someone, and my brother said "yes my wife is pregnant with our first child" and she looked at me and said "oooh when is it due??"
    I had to say (red faced) that I wasnt the wifer, but that I was his sister! lol x

3. Mynxie

Mynxie Well-Known Member

:hugs: oh huni, peiople can be so insensitive. Tell them that they shouldn't be asking such personal questions! :hugs: Peiople really do infuriate me sometimes xx

4. Tilly

Tilly Guest

I had a woman say that to me after I had Bethanie - "whens your baby due?" I was so embarrassed, I just said "A few months ago, im just fat now.." - she seemed quite awkward lol. Not the most confidence boosting comment!

Don't know what to suggest to you really, people can easily misunderstand (eg - I was buying baby clothes and cotton wool when the lady said that to me) or maybe people think that you must be expecting soon because you're wearing loose clothing or have been with your husband for a good few years. Try not to let it get to you, easier said that done I know!

5. kate.m.

kate.m. Mummy to Travis

I went to a fairground once, and fainted on one of the rides (i hadnt eaten properly that day) and the first thing that my mum asked was "youre not pregnant are you?", my boss asked the same at work the next day when i was retelling my story! But, that was the first sign of her pregnancy- so i suppose her mind would automatically think that! I was only 18/19 aswell!!

6. Louise N

Louise N Guest

My MIL once asked me 'you're not expecting are you?' at one of her dinner parties when I couldn't eat everything on my place (I have IBS so I have to be careful what I eat). There was about 10 of us around the table, I didn't know where to look. Another girl who was there and about my age looked embarrassed for me, I don't think she could believe my MIL had put me on the spot like that.

7. lozzy21

lozzy21 Mummy to Niamh

I got asked this today, we took a client to a farm and the smell in the pig pen made me gag and nearly puke, the bloke i work with kept asking me "your not up the duff are you?" I BLOODY WISH!

8. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

Could be worse after I told my mom I was getting married, she called my sister and asked her if I was pregnant. My sister then called and told me, I'm just thinking to myself, "Thanks a lot for the vote of confidence."

9. Vesta

Vesta Mum of 1. WTT #2

I've had those comments a few times, but only if I mention feeling unwell.

Edited to add -
    I completely forgot. My parents got this question several times on my behalf when my now-husband and I planned and wed in 4 months.

10. sleepinbeauty

sleepinbeauty WTT#1 after marriage

I get this when I refuse to drink. I have endo...the alcohal makes me cramps worse. Not to mention that I just don't like getting shitfaced like my peers. -_-*

When I first went of the Pill, I was in such bad shape that even *I* thought I might be pregnant! I couldn't get mad when almost everyone assumed that i was (very sick, tired, in pain, bloated to HUGE proportion)

11. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Well-Known Member

I got asked at work and I just said the fat is mine alone... Also in another job a young girl started dancing and prancing singing along to "Rosana is pregnant" and making a belly form with her hand on her stomach... In front of my collegues just because she thought I was pg... So embarrasing.

12. calm

calm Administrator
    Administrator Moderator

I hoped you gave her one:grr:

13. apple84

apple84 Well-Known Member

My family members often ask if I'm pregnant when I wear an empire-waist top or dress. I keep having to remind them that it is currently a popular style with non-pregnant women as well.

Also, my brothers are away from school, but when they come home for a break they always offer me an alcoholic drink to, in their words, check if I'm pregnant yet. It annoys me, but I am glad that they're excited to be uncles.

14. Nik_

Nik_ Well-Known Member

At work on Saturday a co-worker randomly told me "You're glowing today, are you pregnant?". I was then later asked by several other people I work with the same thing as apparently they heard her ask. Any type of "glow" I had was in fact sweat!

15. bigbloomerz

bigbloomerz Well-Known Member

16. kate.m.

kate.m. Mummy to Travis

17. toffee87

toffee87 Well-Known Member

My mum sometimes asks lol, she says it in a jokey manner, but obviously wants to make sure.

18. sleepinbeauty

sleepinbeauty WTT#1 after marriage

19. Webbykinskt

Webbykinskt Well-Known Member

Even i've been asked this twice by very rude customers whilst working at a supermarket. And I'm only a bit chubby... maybe two dress sizes more than I should be. The uniform isn't very forgiving but both the women gave me such a dirty look when I said no. It was horrible... right in front of my supervisors too. :dohh:

20. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Well-Known Member

People should learn to keep their mouths shut if they're not going to say something nice or don't know for sure if it's appropiate. It's like as if you answer "no"... and then ask "are you wearing a wig" in response... Very inappropiate and just as rude. How would they feel.