zapped hand/ electrocuted

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by zizii, Nov 20, 2011.

1. zizii

zizii Well-Known Member

Hi all,

i am staying at my mums in my old bedroom... i forgot to throw out my lamp which had a bit of loose wiring near the switch ( abit stupid but no one actually uses my bedroom!)

and i showered etc and went to switch on my lamp to get into bed and read for a while.. but when i touched the switch to turn it on it zapped/ electrocuted my hand :cry:

Is my baby ok? i dont have any pains only my hand feels a little odd ( but that could also be as i have been studying alot and writing )

i am really worried :| my mum says its nothing to worry about but i am such a worry wart :(

2. Mommy626

Mommy626 Well-Known Member

Ouch, that must have been really scary! I don't have any knowledge on the matter but I hope everything goes okay!

3. Jtiki

Jtiki Well-Known Member

Don't TENS machine deliver mild electric shocks ? Since they are frequently used for back pain relief during late pregnancy and even during labor, I think you and the baby are both fine.

4. littlemamana

littlemamana Mommy to Colin

You're 100% fine. Really, don't worry about it. This actually happened to me a few weeks ago and my baby is just fine. I actually was plugging something in when it happened. I worried too but I was fine and so is baby! I really would not worry but if you're really concerned, give your midwife a call! It couldn't hurt and it'll calm any fears.

5. zizii

zizii Well-Known Member

Mommy thanks :)

Jtiki - i never considered this!!

littlemama- :) thank goodness all is well!!

So i ended up going to A & E after posting my thread yesterday! word of advice NEVER trust nhs direct they made me panic so much i was crying all the way to the hospital. they said i needed MEDICAL ATTENTION ASAP and if i required an ambulance. They asked me simply my body temperature ( i said my normal cold self which is normal!) and my heart is not racing. thats what they based it on that i should go A & E!

I went to A&E i was seen as a major within 2 mins ... had to do urine sample and wait to see gynae doc. I spoke to the doc on the phone in the nurses bay she assured me NOTHING can happen with elecric shocks. She said even if i fainted on a full shock i.e my body it would not effect the baby and that if i wanted to be checked out for my own peace of mind she had 2 patients to see before me then she will get down to me!

I went to the pregnancy unit ( i had to walk for about 15 mins to get to it!) and then i waited for the doctor. I filled out an assesment form and the doctor came.. firstly she told me off in a nice way that i should carry my file with me!

So i got to see baby!!!!!!!!!! i cannot believe how big baby is gone and i was just so happy even at 3.30am i was floating on air out of the hospital! i think i saw a willy on the scan but i am not sure :|

But my baby is fine and dandy :D and i am pleased atleast i saw another glimpse of my baby before my scan in January!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Mommy626

Mommy626 Well-Known Member

So glad to hear everything is alright! Glad you got to see your baby too :)

7. AngelUK

AngelUK Mummy of twin boys

What a relief! I am glad all is ok :) And what a treat in the end to get to see your LO! :D Did they give you any pics? I guess they probably wouldn't at and emergency scan?

8. zizii

zizii Well-Known Member

Mommy thank you!!

Angel no pics :( she showed us for like 1 min ( they usually do not do an ultrasound, but because i looked panicky, and had swollen eyes the doctor was being very very nice to make me happy lol!)

I had an emergency scan in crete too, they gave me pics and measurments ( they are in greek though!!!) i think my baby likes to be viewed on ultrasound , already an attention seeker!!

I can't however get the images out of my head from last nights scan. I just keep cooing over baby and just keep telling everyone!!!! i was even telling my 6 month old cousins baby today and he seemed quite happy to hear it :D