Zika and TTC Decisions

awnmyown

Reaction score
So I'm headed to Mexico this month for a delayed honeymoon. I thought the new guidelines suggested waiting 2 months before trying to conceive, so DH and I are super excited. Except I found out that it says to wait 6 months for men.

DH and I REALLY don't want to wait. Anyone else in this position? What choice did you make?

The only comfort I can find in going ahead after 2 months anyway, is that the instance in the State we're going to is 21 in 100,000 for locals. Which compared to Down Syndrome at 142 in 100,000, it seems a lot less likely. And the Zika count is only for infection, not the percentage of those infected who then have a complication.

Thoughts? I'm really struggling with this. We don't want a huge age gap, and I can't decide if 6 months of waiting is overly cautious or not...especially since cases have been plummeting...and it's low mosquito season and last time we went we didn't even get a single bug bite...but I don't want our child to get microcephaly for my selfish reasons...

My husband and I changed our honeymoon in December 2016 to a Zika free country as I was already off birth control.

I personally wouldn't risk it for the sake of a holiday. Our government guidelines strongly recommended not trying to conceive if you had been to a country with Zika until after the recommended amount of time.

That said, I'm sure there are tests that could be done upon your return to check that your husband is clear.

I absolutely wouldn’t risk it. I’d either change the holiday or wait. It’s not worth it.

I personally wouldn't risk it. You're already going to be waiting 2 months...so really what is 4 extra months for total and complete peace of mind? Say you did get pregnant without waiting, you would be stressed and anxious the entire time until baby was big enough to check rather than getting to enjoy the experience. is there any way to change the honeymoon to somewhere else?

We went to mexico for our honeymoon 2 years ago and waited as we had it booked before it all was on news. Doctor said to me to wait 6 months before trying if i can remember xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"