Zika

Hoping4peanut

Reaction score
Anyone concerned about zika now that its hit the us? I want to ttc but this virus has me worried. Mosquitos eat me alive

I worry a little. I too get eaten alive by those buggers, and MN late summer it gets bad! Fortunately, I'm hoping I am far enough north...We took a trip to the Dominican Republic this Spring and stayed on the resort to avoid it. I'm going to talk to our doc about it to see if we should get any testing done as we are actively TTC.

My husband went to a country where there was Zika. He was deployed there for relief work with the army. We were told that there would be no testing but that all returned soldiers needed to use barrier methods of contraception for 6 months upon returning. We were already TTC and I was beyond pissed about this! But my husband hadn't been bitten so, after a lot of debate and speaking with doctors, we decided not to wait.

The doctors won't and can't test for Zika unless you have active symptoms and are tested while you have active symptoms. 1 in 5 won't get symptoms so it's really not possible to check.

We have two trips booked down south in the spring (dominican and cuba) and I worry about ttc after. MKaykes what do you mean when you said you stayed on the resort to avoid it? Are you less likely to get bit on the resort? I am curious! This whole zika thing has just been occurring to me in the last few weeks. Particularly if I do fall pregnant!

I am concerned especially since we are having Monsoon season in AZ, Hubby and i love to go to the park at night to play Pokemon and the mosquitoes love me !

I stayed on the resort in Punta Cana, DR because all the reviews of excursions I looked into said "bring lots of deet!" I don't know if they spray at the resort, but with all the concrete and people we didn't have any issues at the resort. The excursions and off resort activities were very outdoors in the area.

I went to Mexico last month and have a very nervous nature. I like facts, real facts and statistics. I've found the absolute best, no BS source of information is

https://www.paho.org/hq/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11603&Itemid=41696&lang=en

I looked up Mexico and there have been 0.1 cases per 100,000 in Quintana Roo where we were. This greatly outs my mind at ease...the chances of me having the virus are literally 1 in a million. They have put the US on there now, but there is no data yet. I'm sure there will be soon.

We have followed the CDC guidelines, but now I am going to try to enjoy TTC and my pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"