Zoloft while Breastfeeding

mhk425

Reaction score
Wondering if any of you ladies have experience taking Zoloft while breastfeeding. My baby is 12 days old, and I'm suffering from postpartum depression. (My OB's nurse practitioner, who I saw yesterday, said it was "baby blues bordering on PPD.") She prescribed 50mg of Zoloft and said it was fine to take while breastfeeding. However, from what I've been reading, the long-term effects really aren't known, and small amounts do show up in breast milk. In addition to PPD, I do have a history of anxiety for which I was medicated in the past, so of course I'm worried about the "what ifs" of taking Zoloft while breastfeeding. I should mention that I have low supply to begin with--I basically only get milk from pumping, and I get about 8 ounces total a day; the rest is supplemented with formula...so I have been trying to decide if breastfeeding is worth the stress/hassle in general. I'm just so torn about what to do. I know that any amount of breast milk is better than none in general. I also know that with DH going back to work on Monday, I may not be able to handle the pumping and bottle feeding schedule. My LC, of course, said that the benefits of breastfeeding outweigh any potential risks of Zoloft. I'm just SO confused about what to do. I know I can't go on like this. I still haven't bonded with my baby, I cry every day, and I'm just not feeling right. What do I do??

I suffered pnd and anxiety after my second child and went on Zoloft when she was 3 months. I exclusively breastfed her until she turned 2years old with no problems at all. She was such a happy baby and I used to joke that it was cause she was getting "happy milk" :haha:
She is now 10 years old and shows no problems.
Stress can be a cause of your low supply too, if taking the Zoloft helps with your anxiety and depression you may find your milk will improve.
It really sucks what you are going through but just believe me that there are better times waiting for you even if you can't see them now, it WILL happen.
I wish you all the very best and hope that you and your LO can share a special bond very soon. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->