10 Month Old Biting

DebbieF

Reaction score
Just recently she has started to bite me every. single. time. we nurse. They are not nice bites either, they really hurt! How do I discourage this? I usually yell out in pain every time she does it which scares her and she begins to cry. If this continues I will have to stop breastfeeding which breaks my heart.. So what worked for you other ladies?

When she bites, take her off the breast without making eye contact and turn your back from her. If she cries, wait until she is calm to start feeding again. If she doesn't cry, wait a few minutes then put her back on. This will teach her biting results in it being taken away.

You could alternatively take her off and say "Ouch, that hurts Mummy. If you bite me I will have to take you off boobie/milk/(whatever word you use)". Yes 10month olds can't talk (most of them) but they aren't far off their first words so are starting to understand lots and can point to things/look towards things etc. If you want her to start expressing her feelings verbally it can be a good idea to model that even when she is too young to really understand what 'hurting' someone else is.

with my ds#1 i would take him off and tell him no boobie if he bit me and did it every time he learned quickly not to bite if he wanted boobie. GL babies learn quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->