12 days old and refusing to nurse without shields! How can I stop using them???

MommaCC

Reaction score
Basically my nipples cracked so badly I resorted to nipple shields 7 days ago. Now Chace has been feeding since Sunday on the left side without one as its all healed up but still using one on the right as its still healing.

However this morning he has refused the left completely until I put the shield on it. I'm so worried about nipple confusion and my supply I really want him off them ASAP.

Advise please?

:cry::nope:

I had to use shields because mine was a preemie, he was 10 weeks before we got off them! I would do the following (at each feed!):

Offer breast bare, but don't push it
If he doesn't latch, offer with shield until he gets going
Slip off shield in the middle of feed and try bare again
If he refuses, let him finish with the shield

Repeat until he will go without.

While we were getting off it, he started refusing bare again because it was a little harder. I used the above protocol and he was back on the breast bare in 1 day.

I used a shield for the first month due to my right nipple being inverted. LO just couldn't get a good latch thanks to engorgement and no nipple to latch on to. As the PP said offer without first, but don't let him or yourself get too frustrated. Once he is no longer a stark raving hungry mad little man try without the shield.

For us my LO just up and decided that she didn't need the shield anymore. I had put it on for a feed and she refused to latch. I took it off and she went on like a pro. Now that she is 8 months she will actually grab my breast and stick it in her mouth and my nipple is no longer inverted. Shields are a pain, but they are helpful too. Good luck!

Thanks ladies I managed to get him to feed twice without it last night. thanks for your advise and tips! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->