12 week scan, downs test

Northernmonke

Reaction score
I am 8 weeks tomorrow.
Just had first midwife apt and she asked if we wanted the downs syndrome test at the 12 week scan, we said no.

Our reasoning behind it - if it came back as high risk then we wouldn't abort and we would worry all the way through the pregnancy, we wouldn't have the next test due to fear of miscarriage so would only truly know when our twins are born.

What are other peoples thoughts?

I think it was a tricky decision that had to be made on the spot.

Hi,
I did elect to have it but it would be so we could be prepared if there was anything wrong.
However like you I don't think I would want to have the extra tests like amnio or cvs because of the risk of miscarriage. x

I suppose I don't really know enough about it but just feel very blessed to be pregnant and have to have hope for 2 healthy happy babies x

I had nuchal scan and blood tests, came back high risk and declined amnio or CVS as I will keep this baby regardless of Down's or not; I never thought I'd be blessed with motherhood. :) I wish I'd declined the blood test; didn't realise it was optional as I'm in Spain and haven't a clue what the doctors say half the time. My boyfriend is SUPPOSED to translate everything, but being a man, I only ever get half the story. Anyway, I'd rather not have bothered with the blood test as I now worry from time to time and will until birth, whereas if I hadn't had those results back, I wouldn't think about it. I know women, including family who came back with 1 in 6 results and thereabouts, and their babies were perfectly healthy.

I never had it for either of my 2 previous babies and wont this time round. I personally dont think it matters if your baby has downs you will still love it the same. But if you do have a baby with downs I just see it as God gave you an extra special baby xx

We also decided we're not going for it. First;y, we wouldn't abort if there was a problem. Secondly, I wouldn't want the worry beforehand of how we're going to cope if something was shown to be wrong.

I feel like once baby is born, and I've held it, I'll love it, regardless, and that would make a diagnosis easier to deal with.

I would want to be prepared and depending on the risk factor we may go for additional testing. I honestly don't know what we would do if it came back a high risk of Trisomy 21, though I reckon me and OH would have very different views and it would be a lot of discussing.

If it came back for a high risk of a fatal chromosomal abnormality (one of the other trisomies) then we would probably end the pregnancy sooner rather than later. We get pregnant easily, our age gap is already bigger than we planned for and I don't think I would want to put my children, especially my 3 yr old, through loosing a baby later on in pregnancy or shortly after birth.

I'm having it on Wednesday. Honestly, I'm glad to have it. If it comes back for high risk for downs there is a non invasive blood test I can have covered by insurance called Maternit21/harmony [If nuchal comes back high risk my insurance will cover the blood test]. I think I would like the time now to grieve for the baby I thought I would have & prepare for the baby I will have. If it came back high risk for something like trisomy 18 then we'd have some big decisions ahead of us but I like to be as informed as possible. I also look at it as another chance to get a covered ultrasound of my baby!

It's a difficult one and I also am opting not to have it on the same grounds as you OP, however, when my daughter was born they thought she might have Down's syndrome and as a post-partum new mum who is fatigued, shattered and very hormonal I found it very upsetting to deal with the possibility at that time and wished I had done the test.
I have discussed it with my df now we are pregnant again and he thinks I would worry too much if it came back high risk so we agreed not to do it again, but will be prepared more for the chance they may suspect if my pumpkin resembles his/her big sister as it was her widely spaced eyes and flat nasal ridge that made them think she had it.
As for the other trisomies I don't think I could cope with having to deal with that during the pregnancy and the decision would kill me so I would rather not know, but I can imagine if my dd were older or we were in a different position then we may act differently.

Good luck with your decision, I don't think anyone makes the wrong decision on this one I think it's just a case of how you feel you'd deal with the results and what your situation is.

i said no at 1st with dd !!! but then said yes only becoz i woudnt of got another scan till 21weeks as i had one at epau at 6 weeks and 12 weeks scans can show other problems aswell

this time i am getting it aswell i wouldnt get the cvs but would pay for the harmony test if ought did get falgged up x

My oldest has Down Syndrome, so I am already considered high risk, I won't be doing anymore invasive testing. I had the test done the first time I was PG and there was no signs at all. So I figure what is meant to be will be :)

I am having it in about a week and a half and I am nervous. They seem to push it in my docs office. I am freaking out. I already have super high anxiety...but I decided to do it early on and now that I have given blood I am stuck with the decision. Ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->