16 week old advice on how to get to use a bottle

bluestars

Reaction score
My 16 week old daughter used to take some expressed milk through a bottle to let me have a wee long lie. Now after a few weeks of no bottle she wont take a bottle at all from me or my partner. I have tried going out and leaving him to try himself. Tried giving her it. Tried sitting next to my partner. Nothing.

Bottles tried TomTip and Dr brown.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas?

I'm going through something very similar.. my daughter took the bottle perfectly fine up until about a month or so ago and then she just started refusing to take it! I've heard you just have to persevere.. I'm still at it.. She will take a bit now, but very rarely more than 1 - 2oz, and that's ONLY off my OH. I'm starting to lose hope but just gonna try and stick at it. Gonna get my OH to try giving her her night feed sometime soon cos that's the one I'd like to be able to miss sometimes so I have the option of going out for a drink and not having to limit myself so I can BF. The rest of the time I'm not TOO bothered about. I think I've just got used to exclusively feeding her myself! I went through a phase of feeling a bit down in the dumps that I had to say no over and over to people asking me to go out, but now I think I'm past it..

I hope you have some luck!

My daughter was the same and I eventually got her taking one at 6 months. All I can suggest is persist! Persistence is key she might not take it for a while but she will. Try it twice a day. Try different types of bottles.

Also my daughter took to the bottle straight away when she was extremely thirsty on a hot day.

Also don't try and give him or her one when they are upset starving hungry. Wait until they are a little bit peckish but not to the point they're about to get themselves in a state otherwise it won't wkrk.

Also if you try some one else giving the bottle it may work as they will be able to smell your milk and be confused xx

Also I tried born free bottles from babies r us she took too and also medela ones x

My LO wouldn't suck on anything but the breast until this week, she'd just chew on things. She'll be 22 weeks tomorrow and starts daycare I just over a week. We tried spoon feeding her and that worked great. My DH spoon fed her breastmilk in a feeding chair. Now in her 22nd week she stRted sucking things. So we gave her a Medela breastmilk bottle with 1/2 oz. she took it, but it was hard for her to get the milk out even when sucking. I got a 4-12 month nipple for the medela bottle and she took 2 oz of breastmilk yesterday! So, 1. Bottles aren't the only feeding option. And 2. Sometimes it just takes them time to be interested in that skill of bottle/ object sucking.

We tried everything to get DD to take a bottle, me feeding, DH feeding, my mum feeding, me in the house, me out the house etc etc etc It was really hard work and I thought she was never going to do it but eventually, she did! We have found the MAM bottles seem to work best and initially, she would only take the milk if it was really warm. My advice is to keep offering it regularly but back down if LO shows any signs of distress as you don't want to associate the bottle with feeling upset if that makes sense?

X

Thank you ladies. I've heard persisting I'd the best option. It sounds bad but i just don't know what time of day to try. I want my OH to do a feed again so she can see he can settle her too. Tried cups bottles etc any more luck with your little ones or advice? Xxx

Try a latex nipple. When DD2 was younger it was very hard to get her to take a bottle of expressed milk, and the playtex drop-in with a latex nipple was the only one she would touch. Maybe it feels more like the ''real thing'':haha:

Might have had some success she chews and sips now... hopefully will get the hang a bit better. Thanks ladies x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->