16 week old reflux baby what to do?

tiasmummy

Reaction score
hi, my DD Is 16 weeks old with awful reflux since about 4 weeks (we used to breastfeed so i doubt this is a problem of being lactose intolerant) anyway we have tried gaviscon, carobel and hungry baby milk (aptamil) none seem to work really although when i dont use carobel/gaviscon the reflux is 10 times worse! but its still there regardless....with carobel i threw it away altogether as she couldnt even get the stuff out of the teat even with variflow! and i dont want to keep giving her gaviscon with every feed especially when it doesnt even hold down most of the milk, im at my wits end! i know they say it gets better when shes on solids and i can start weaning from next week but i want to make sure shes ready for food not just giving it to her for the sake of her not being sick! any ideass anyone?? again a friend advised me on switching from aptamil to hipp organic as its better apparently but im 100 per cent sure she would still be sick as she was even sick on my golddust breastmilk! and comfort/anti reflux milk is also a no no coz of the thickness she will not drink it...help?! what do i do????

You seem to have tried everything! Have you spoke to your doc? Theres things they can prescribe like milk thickeners etc. My LO is the same with his reflux however hes only 10 weeks old, so cant really wait a little while to wean! So i was advised sma stay down, looked at some reviews and there pretty good, apart from the way to make it up! Try speaking to your doc if you haven't, but i'd deffinatly give SMA stay down a try!

SMA staydown was like a miracle cure for us - Sophie went from being sick pretty much all time time (many many outfit changes every day - I couldn't go out without taking several changes of clothes with me) to nothing, just overnight. Definitely give that a try. xxx

Can you speak to your doctor about some medicine? My LO was on Omeprazol and is now on Ranitidine xx

My ds is 6 weeks and we've just gone from gaviscon to rantidene (sp?!?) prescribed by my docs . I changed onto comfort milk (aptimel) as its thicker and seems to be working well.

Personally I'd go back to docs and persevere telling sic you need to be given something.
Don't know if your aware but aptimel do a reflux milk only available in boots think you have to ask for it

Were you on an elimination diet when breastfeeding, ie removed ALL dairy products?

My 1st was like this and it was a milk intolerance (we later moved to soy formula which made him sick but it stayed down at least). And reflux. LOL. Yikes.

If it IS reflux, then you may need to move on to something stronger than gaviscon. Gaviscon works for mild cases, ranitidine is the next step for something stronger.

My LO had bad reflux and colic. We changed our bottles to Dr Brown. They were fantastic. 2 of my friends have changed to them and also swear by them x

thanks for all your advice guys im going to ask the docs if we could try rantidene xx

Let us know. Asking to try Neocate for posssible intollerance is a good idea too xx

I wouldn't rule out lactose intolerance just because you breast fed. Mine tolerated bm ok but didn't tolerate milk based formula and we had to switch to soy. Which I know is not highly recommended by anyone on this site but it worked wonders for us. It takes about a week before you see a difference. Might try that with the meds and see if you get a whole new baby.

Hi Ladies

My LO has been on Infant Gaviscon for silent reflux since she was 5 weeks old (I breastfed for 4 weeks then FF).

The gaviscon worked quite well, we still had our moments here and there. I recently had a review with our Dr and we were going to try and reduce the gaviscon but my LO got really fussy/upset so I put her back on it (5 bottles a day). However the past week shes started spitting up after every feed, I would say about a oz maybe?
Do you think shes now suffering from normal reflux? She was never sick before so this is new to us (shes now 3months) Sometimes she doesnt even seem to get the milk down before bringing it up....she is perfectly fine in herslef and it doesnt seem to be bothering her but I need tons of bibs/muslins etc.

Should I perhaps try another milk such as staydown? Can you use that with gaviscon?
She has been on aptamil 1 since 4 weeks.

Thanks

xx

dont use a staydown with gaviscon....ive never used staydown milk just gaviscon and carobel but the reviews are so good if i had another baby with reflux i'd start off with the staydown milk before any medication xx

The gaviscon is designed to act as a barrier/thickener so you wouldn't need it with a comfort/staydown milk.

My LO is on Nutramigen (CMP and soya intolerant so unfortunately we can't use a comfort milk) Carobel (milk thickener) and Ranitidine. It took 9 long weeks to get this combination, but this is what works for my LO. Everytime she gains a kg and the Ranitidine needs adjusting she overflows like a river constantly (soaking 8 muslins in a day was a recent record for us).

Sorry to hijack but loves cookies who adjusts your LOs ranitidine? My LO was put on it at the beginning of November along with a change of milk to Neocate. She was on 0.44ml 3x per day but has gotten really sicky lately, its awful. Does it sound like it needs upped? How much is your LO on? Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->