17 month old, very few words?

what about his understanding? try giving him different commands, such as bring this to daddy, and so on and see if he understands. He is still very young and at this age this is the most important.

DD1 was speaking basic words from 10 months. She could say all of her cousins names, repeat words clearly by 14 months and count to 10 at 18 months. She was speaking in 6+ word sentences by 2. She couldn't walk until she was 17 months.

DD2 is the total opposite. She walked before she could talk. She's 16 months and can say
Ava
mama
dada
Mi-Mi (parrot called Milo)
nana
papa
Ta (thank you)
na ni (n'night)
g ba (go bed)
muh (milk)
ba (blanket)
My (mine)
Uh Oh
Ow
Hayden (cousin)
Mmmm (when she wants a kiss)

When we lose her bottle I try to get her to shout "miiiiilk, where are you?" But she can't quite get the words out, just the sounds.

Writing it down makes me think I'm giving less credit than she deserves for her speech. I'm just so used to having conversations with DD1.

I didn't think it was uncommon to not have very many words until they hit 2?

My son had several bursts of words, but it was around 19 months that he started saying more than the standard dada bab etc. It took him a while to even say mama and he had to call me bab for months!

Honestly, its shocking how it is literally like a 'burst' of words! Just keep talking at every opportunity, talk them through everything you're doing etc. If you're busy doing housework and theyre playing with toys, put cbeebies on. My son is now 2 sunday just gone, for a while hes been able to count 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 which he could say before he could say mama, so i thought that was impressive. But there was a show on numbers last week, and out of nowhere, half an hour after watching the show he was able to count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and sometimes including 9 and 10. All from watching a cbeebies show! haha He's only just the last few weeks stringing together words by himself a little better. so 'pick up' and a little less clearly 'want to get down now' after eating dinner.

It will be in their own time, but it'll be out of no where and you'll be shocked and wont be able to shut them up! I don't think its a problem just yet! :)

My 17-month-old has now started saying 'yeah' and shaking his head for no. This is his only functional communication and he otherwise just babbles. Grateful for these 2 developments at least! Oh he does go 'mamamam' when he's eating to say yummy!

My DD didn't say any words at that age apart from mama and dada babble. At two years old he was saying a few words and the HV told us to come back in four months' time if she wasn't saying anything more words but she started having a bit of a speech explosion and the development happened all at once.

DS2 is 16 months, we just have a variety of noises that he uses to communicate with, it's as if he's made up his own language!

I'm not worried, he'll get there in his own time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->