17yo with no friends

mia_leacey

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone will be able to help me but thought it was worth a shot.

My nephew is really down at the mo as he doesn't have any friends. His friends all went to a different sixth form from him.

He's intelligent and mature on the one hand and not into the friendship games and bitching teenagers do, but inexperienced and naive on the other hand eg not worldly wise. He's into music, film, books etc. He's also painfully shy.

Does anyone know of any forums or sites he could join to make friends? Or have any tips?

Tia x

My thought was to get a part time job or volunteer job in an area he is interested in/good at. Volunteers are usually needed in all areas, and most places are very happy and accommodating to have them. There are various volunteer websites - first hit I found for UK was : https://www.volunteering.org.uk/iwanttovolunteer

Then by getting out, he'd meet other like-minded people.

My DH was reading this as I was and he said:

Try finding a creative hobby like performing music, making movies or writing?
and find related clubs/groups for kids interested in that sort of thing.

Bless you. Thank you for responding.

He's just doing his A-levels at the moment but then he is hoping to get a job which will hopefully help. He's also considered volunteering too but really needs that kick to get going with that one as he's found a few projects but then felt too shy to turn up.

He plays guitar and he has been going to a club but most of the people who go are younger than him. He'd really like to play in a band but can't find anyone to play with.

Thank you again for your suggestions and ideas.

I agree with the prev response- there has to be some outside sports to enroll in or classes at a local community college or center (i.e. things of interest to him)- that way he meets other teenagers with the same interests :) Work was always a great way to meet other kids too- I met a lot of great friends that way outside of school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->