18 week maternity leave?

Celesse

Reaction score
Apparently the government are considering reducing maternity leave to 18 weeks. See links for info. Would write more but nursing.

https://www.facebook.com/WorkingFamiliesUK
https://www.workingfamilies.org.uk/articles/new-thinking/policy/0-1-six-months-for-mums-new-campaign

Ridiculous.. sorry I know a lot of US mums only have a fee weeks as it is!!

Cx

I was ready to go back quite soon but i am happier in a work environment than a home one. Im not cut out to be a housewife!

I see why its important for a lot of mums but i really do feel 52 weeks is a LOT. 18 weeks is a dramatic change but women in other countries arent as lucky as we are to get as much time off. 6 months would be a good compromise.

The people that will suffer the most are people who stop work at 29 weeks due to doing manual jobs etc. and it isnt appropriate or they arent able to carry on. They would only have 7 weeks at home with their baby.

I don't agree with it, why not leave it as it is? If some women want to go back to work after less than 52 weeks then that's their choice. It's not fair to impose it on everyone. I know other countries aren't as lucky as we are when it comes to maternity rights but that doesn't mean we should 'down size' so to speak. I think it's important for parents to spend as much time with their kids as possible and cutting down the maximum mat leave allowed would hinder that.

I had 14 months off! I would have definitely not been ready after 18 weeks.

I am not sure where the article got their information from though, it does seem a bit strange saying that they want to reduce it seeing as the government have recently changed the law so that the father/mother's partner can split the maternity leave with them.

All very well if you have a term healthy baby.You'll still get some bonding time.

But the implications it has on people like myself who have sick/premature babies in hospital?

Alex spent 11 1/2 weeks in hospital and returned 5 weeks later for laser eye surgery.

Its ridiculous!

As for the plans they include dropping to lower pay after the 18 weeks, and a lump sum at the start of maternity leave rather than pay. Werent they just saying in the news that maternity leave can cause massive debt? I can only imagine this would make the issue worse rather than better.

I'd heard they were extending it to a years paid in the next few years.

I also don't get why they are campaigning for 6 months maternity leave when you currently get 9 months paid,

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->