1st time mums-Home Birth or not??

alicea

PCOS
Reaction score
hey just been watching mybirth.tv and seen a home birth and has got me thinking about which id prefer! im not sure which one as i am a student nurse so feel i should put my faith in the NHS :haha: but then seeing how well her birth went made me think otherwise

any opinions??

x

Personally, I'd rather go for a hospital birth, just in case really... Particularly if it came down to DH having to make a decision in terms of problems actually in childbirth. I know it's awful, but definitly hospital.

My decision will be whether to stick with the NHS or go Private, as DH get's private health care.

I know this is WTT but the title caught my eye!

I also went with a purely medical birth (OBGYN instead of midwife, hospital and everything). I didn't know any better!

Now that I'm due and had a complication-free pregnancy, I really wish I had opted for the home birth option. The comfort of being at home, being more in control, all those things... I really wish I had chosen that. I will for #2.

Nothing against the public health system (no bad experiences!), I just think at home (if no complications, problems, etc) is better.

I'm going to opt for a homebirth... I think at the end of the day, birth is not strictly speaking a medical event, but a natural one, so in a pregnancy with no complications, there is no reason to give birth in hospital. Also, hospitals are where unwell people go, pregnancy is not an illness. Saying this, of course if the need to head into hospital arose, I would put babies safety first.

I don't think having a homebirth would detract from your faith in the NHS Alicea, as you will still be attended by NHS midwives, just on a more one on one and personal basis. It is this fact, combined with my need for control (which I worry I would lose completely in a hospital setting an therefore not cope very well) that leads me to prefer homebirth. That, plus the fact that I'll be g'teed the use of a birth pool in my own home, whereas it would be down to luck in my local hospital!

first of all i love mybirth.tv lol!
the thought of a home birth sounds nice but i think i'd feel safer in a hospital to be honest i would be worried throughout incase things went wrong - im a worrier! NHS were fantastic, when i lost my baby i was induced into labour and throughout the day i had the best staff who took care of me amazingly! - on the other hand if you get free private care though why not!

OK, well I'm very happy.... Just looked through DH's medical insurance cover thingy.... Only covers emergency caesarean (?) births and other complications. That's good.

OK then, so it's NHS for me. Yay!!!! Or rather, it will be, eventually, if we're lucky enough. :D

I think it'll be hospital for me... I'm just too much of a worrier to have it at home I think... But,I won't be making any decisions until nearer the time when I've got all the info on both options, etc...

At home if at all possible. I hate hospitals and I don't trust them to be clean. But then I'm a bit OCD about other people's dirt/germs and wouldn't trust the hospital to be clean...

cheers girlies all very good points! does anyone know whether u can opt for a hospital birth then change to homebirth later in pregnancy??? im not even preg but just so excited about the prospect of getting pregnant!!!!! and having to study maternity for my uni course makes my broodiness even worse haha

xx

I'm a student nurse too, on my rostered service and going for my second homebirth. Unless you go for an independent midwife you will still be putting your faith in the good old NHS. I'm with the homebirth team in my area, and although I had my first in hospital as it never crossed my mind to do otherwise, if I did it all again I'd be homebirth every time. there's a wealth of evidence out there your Athens access might cover if your uni runs a midders course re: the safety of homebirth. There's also a homebirth thread you might find useful which if you read shows the vast differences in each area when it comes to accomodating homebirth, successful births at home (first or otherwise) and what actually happens when a problem occurs at home. You can change your mind at any time as it is down to patient choice, and some areas won't discuss place of birth until 30 weeks +. I would personally plan for a homebirth if you think that might be what you want as it is a lot easier to switch to hospital at the last minute in areas where staffing makes homebirth less popular amongst midwives.

I'm living proof that home births can work out perfectly! :D

That said, I will most likely go to the hospital, even though I absolutely hate hospitals! But just in case something happens...

I would love a home birth in a birthing pool, but that would only be if I have a 100% problem free pregnancy.

Thats how I feel at the moment. But things might change when I am actually pregnant! Lol.

xxx

i defintly want a home birth!! will be so much better, in the comfort of ur own home

TrumpetBum-hey how are u finding pregnancy whilst on ur Nursing Course??? just wondered what sorta support are u gettin from ur uni??

thanks for advice already given!!

xx

TrumpetBum-hey how are u finding pregnancy whilst on ur Nursing Course??? just wondered what sorta support are u gettin from ur uni??

thanks for advice already given!!

xx
It's been fine tbh, my last placement was a nightmare as I was very sick and I hated the ward, but I'm now on my final placement, I'm on community and I'm loving it. If only they were funding much needed community nursing posts here it would be my dream job. I'm the fourth girl in my class to be pregnant during the course and we've all been treated extremely well by the Uni. In Scotland we get a maternity bursary which is great, so I had the option to graduate next year. My three classmates did this but I'm soldiering on because i want to graduate this year with my friends and I'll just manage on my bank auxiliary mat pay until I go out to work.

trumpetbum- yea no1 i know is pregnant but i have looked into pregnancy whilst on the course. I would still receive my NHS bursary for approx 42 wks of ML and then i would go bk to finish my last year! I am hoping to do some bank work in a few months so i can start saving for wen im TTC. i just dont think i can wait til after i finish my course!

glad u are managing and getting the right support from uni

xx

Trumpetbum, it was the homebirthers and hopefuls thread that made my decision for me! I've been a silent stalker for a while (don't feel I fit the bill quite yet, without a baby on the way lol!) and you ladies are sooo informative. Before checking out the info on there, I would have thought I would not be allowed one for a first birth - was so happy to read that this was not the case. And is it so lovely to hear of the ladies there successfully getting their homebirths, and even those that do not really seem to cope so much better when/if intervention is required, because they are so well informed. I really believe that it's not just about the location, but also the state of mind... excited to come over to the thread once I have my BFP x

trumpetbum- yea no1 i know is pregnant but i have looked into pregnancy whilst on the course. I would still receive my NHS bursary for approx 42 wks of ML and then i would go bk to finish my last year! I am hoping to do some bank work in a few months so i can start saving for wen im TTC. i just dont think i can wait til after i finish my course!

glad u are managing and getting the right support from uni

xx
I wasn't too sure how it worked down south but that's great that you guys are the same. Well, my best friend from uni did exactly that and is on mat leave just now. I'm glad she did as he's going to be my godson :lol: It worked out perfectly for her, so it definitely is worth thinking about if you don't mind a year out, especially if like her you get mat pay or SMA because you've worked on the nurse bank. Good luck :)

Trumpetbum, it was the homebirthers and hopefuls thread that made my decision for me! I've been a silent stalker for a while (don't feel I fit the bill quite yet, without a baby on the way lol!) and you ladies are sooo informative. Before checking out the info on there, I would have thought I would not be allowed one for a first birth - was so happy to read that this was not the case. And is it so lovely to hear of the ladies there successfully getting their homebirths, and even those that do not really seem to cope so much better when/if intervention is required, because they are so well informed. I really believe that it's not just about the location, but also the state of mind... excited to come over to the thread once I have my BFP x
Looking forward to seeing you there :) It's a cracking thread. It definitely is about state of mind. I was at the labour ward for a shift at the weekend and felt really comfortable knowing that if i had to transfer I'd trust my midwifes advice and be going to the best place under those circumstances. I would never opt for hospital now, but it was very nice to have a wee look round the Labour suite, PN wards and theatres jic.

My mum has worked in neonatal intensive care for the past 30 years, and she tells me if you want your baby to be safe, then there is no safer place than in a large public hospital.

Home births are dangerous.... If something goes wrong, as it sometimes will, then there is very little medical equipment to save it. It will have to be rushed to hospital and this could seriously endanger it's life.

If you value it's life, then have it in a large public hospital. That's all I can say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->