1st ultrasound. Measuring VERY small. So worried.

hopefulhippo

Reaction score
Hi group,

I had my first ultrasound today. According to my LMP I am between 6weeks5days or 7 weeks (my ovulation varies by a couple days and my cycles are 27 days long). I had my first ultrasound today and I was very scared going into it because of a previous miscarriage. The tech was difficult and would not let my husband in. ANYHOW! The results are that although she saw the heartbeat, she said I am only measuring 5 weeks 4 days????

How is this possible?

And what does it mean?

Any insight would be helpful.

It is such a different date than what we know to be my dates.

Thank you.

Early scans rarely get the dates 100% spot on. This is why dating is around 12 weeks as most babies at at the same size roughly by then

Try not to stress

My doc would not even take a measurement before 7 weeks even though we saw a heartbeat at 6+1 b/c he said they are too inaccurate that early. Sorry the tech would not allow your partner in. I would have lost it with him/her.

I had a scan at 7+2 and was told I was only 6+1. I was devastated, dreading the worst after having some spotting at 4 weeks. At my 12 week scan I was measuring bang on my dates. Even a mm makes a big difference at this stage, try not to worry.

Big hugs x x

When i had mine i was expecting to be 6 weeks from ovulation i did ovulation tests, i had a heartbeat and everything and she said i was only 4 weeks 5 days this was based on my sac size...was it the sac size they measured?? i go for my second tomorrow i am absolutely terrified to go in tomorrow incase the sac hasnt grown x

I've had thee early scans and they have said each time they would not date me from those scans, I guess because of inaccuracies, I think I'm right in that they measure several areas, such as femur, body length, head to gain a date at "official scans"? Of perhaps that's just the 20 week? So yep, I'm left in limbo not nothing exactly how pregnant I am until Wednesday.

Thanks everyone. Glad to hear this has happened to others and it's been OK. It would make no sense that I was 5wks 4days, so I'm hoping it just means the baby is starting out teeny tiny but she/he's ok.

Now, I'm worrying that they are going to tell me the heart rate wasn't fast enough! The tech didn't give me a number, she just said she saw it. Sheesh, it's an endless worries during this time.

Thanks again for those who shared their stories.

When I was 6w 3d, we only got to see the yolk sac - no heartbeat or anything! But we caught up pretty quickly and I'm now 12w 3d today!

My hospital doesn't do datation scans before 10 weeks. Like others have said, 7weeks may be too early for that.
Haven't been through that myself, but when my mother got her scan for me, they set her date back 11 days! Granted I was a tiny baby indeed, just not enough for it to be a concern.

I was scanned at 4+ weeks (so I was told then, I was in fact 5+ weeks) I was bought back over a week, since then the 4 scans I have had I have been bought forward a day! I am now a day out of what I think I was original! I know its hard, but hold in there xxxx

I went for a scan yesterday thinking like you that I am 6w5d-7 weeks. I was told I am only 6 weeks. Which is nearly impossible by the date of my ovulation, the time we had sex and when I got a first positive test. The baby was measuring 4.5 mm and the tech said it should be 10mm by 7 weeks. I think it just an inaccurate measurement. However we saw a strong heartbeat.

so...i got a call from my dr today. apparently the tech had given me the wrong measurements. the fetus was actually measuring at 6 weeks and 1 day, which is not at all far from where we thought i was at (6.5wks). also, the heart beat was reported at 102 bpm...which is a little slow but doesn't seem dismal from what i can tell. so overall feeling a little more positive.

also, important warning to not take the tech's reports at face value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->