1st visit from HV today

lisacaton1980

Mummy to Alfie
Reaction score
had first visit from health visitor today and Alfie now only weighs 4lb 8oz. he was born 4wks early by emergency section on 1st october and weighed 4lb 15.5oz. they didn't weigh him when we left hospital so don't know if he has lost or gained weight since coming home.

feeling bit useless now as been mainly bf with some ff at night as only thing that makes him settle. feel like it is due to my lack of milk that he has weight loss.

anyone else felt like this? fingers crossed he has put on a few ounces by next weigh-in on Thursday.

Don't forget it is quite normal for a baby to lose weight in the first few weeks after birth (premature or not) so Alfie sounds like he is doing exactly what he should be.

Do not give up on the breastfeeding, it is not due to a lack of milk. Wait until the next weigh in before you worry at all. I am sure you will find he has started to put weight in by then. But some babies also take a while longer to start gaining again. Best of luck.

Its very very normal for a baby to lose weight after birth! Alex was 2lb 4oz but then dropped to 1lb 9!(I think!)

it is completely normal for a premmie to lose weight in the weeks after birth , ours dropped from 1 lb 9 oz to 1 lb 5 oz the first two days , one moment they are feeding from the placenta and the next from a bottle .

Dont worry She will put on weight in her own time .As long as she is healthy who cares what some book says he or she should weigh at some such age. Our Angel is now nearly 2 1/2 years old and still only 22 lbs but doing very well and very healthy .

thats fab news :) like annie said, dont give up on breastfeeding, the more milk you need, the more your body will make.

LO got weighed again today and he has reached the 5lb mark - yippee! Now weighs 5lb 0.5oz. Shame that I couldn't exclusively BF him but I would prefer him to be gaining weight and getting better by giving both BF and FF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->