2.5 year old coughing on food/drink

KM22

Reaction score
Hi
Just wonder whether anyone has similar experiences. My 2.5 year old has the past few weeks started to cough/choke when eating/drinking, so much so that she makes herself vomit sometimes. It’s not with every meal, sometimes it’s just when she has a drink, but it is most days.
She does tend to really shove her food in, but it happened when I was feeding her her rice crispies, so I know she wasn’t shoving that in!
Is it something that other toddler parents have experienced or should I contact health visitor?? Thanks in advance xx

Hi,

Not entirely the same, but my first child coughed on fluids from birth until she was almost 5. Not every time, but frequently.

I still don't know why for sure (she's completely grown out of it now), but she does have quite large tonsils (especially on one side) and probably also large adenoids, as well as some seasonal allergies that present with nasal symptoms and congestion.

Her drinking problem seemed to be worse following a spate of illness or allergy, when her tonsils/adenoids were presumably more inflamed than usual.

So I would get those things looked at first, as this is a new thing - it's very possible some sort of illness or infection (has she been poorly recently?) has caused some part of her system to swell up and it's affecting her ability to swallow easily. We've also had hayfever season going on recently and 2.5 is about the time my LO's seasonal allergies started to present.

Sorry you're going through this. I know how worrying it can be - anxiety over my daughter absolutely PLAGUED me for years but it did go away.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->