2 general questions

babylove x

Reaction score
1- unisex names 2-outside opinions

1. What are your general perceptions of unisex names? As far as job applications, and professional lives? What draws the line?

2. How much does the opinions of others matter to you? Excluding some off the wall naming! At what point does a name feel too right, or mean to much to worry about what people may say?

Thank you!

People are very liberal with choosing names nowadays so I don't think it will really matter in the future if your child's name is 'out there' as they won't be the only one.
I would choose a name I loved and if others liked it, good. If not, never mind. I'd probably reconsider a name if it made people burst out laughing though!

I think unisex names are fine, I think there are some that would be considered too masculine or too feminine to use on either sex. Unisex names when I was younger was Terrie, Toni, Charlie, Frankie etc whereas more recent unisex names seem to be Dylan, Rylee, Casey etc. I think there is such a mix of modern and traditional names these days, that it won't affect professionals etc. If I really loved a name then I wouldn't let people put me off it, but if you are being out off it then maybe you didn't love it enough in the first place??

Btw if you are referring g to Casey then I see it as better suited to a male (im in the uk). I do know a couple of females called this, but much prefer it for a boy :)

I love unisex names! I will admit though for some reason I like boy names on girls much better than the opposite. For boys I like really masculine names.

I take other opinions into consideration however I wouldn't let it completely put me off unless someone pointed out their initials would be ASS or nickname for Ashley Whole would be Ash Hole type thing haha. But a name I completely love would likely still be on the list whether or not if people just "don't like it" that's fine- it's not their decision ;)

I have five children and I three of them have unisex names really. Morgan (boy), Kaysie (girl, obviously it is a variation of Casey) and Riley Rae (girl but would of been Riley Ray had she been a boy), so obvious I really like them. I think that names like Casey are used so commonly for both that people wont make assumptions of gender just from the name when our children are grown up.

Other people's opinions dont bother me one dot.

I forgot to add if other peoples opinions are making you reconsider Casey, then try and think about why you fell in love with it. Most people I know who changed their child's name because of other peoples opinions regretted it x

Thank you ladies! I didnt bother with ppls opinions when i named my daughter anna... ppl looked at me weird with that of all names!!! Lol we LOVE casey for him due to the value of it for us. I do think uni names are becoming alot more common and alot of ppl are going with different.. names.. these days so i agree it probably wont effect them professionally.

I think unisex names are fine! I know handful of Casey's both girl and boy, and I actually prefer it as a boys name lol.

As for peoples opinions on names, I don't care. As long as hubby and I love it that's what matters because it's our child. I've had a few eye brows raise at Amelia which I found shocking, but I don't care. That's what girls name I want so they can stuff it.

I think unisex names are fine! I know handful of Casey's both girl and boy, and I actually prefer it as a boys name lol.

As for peoples opinions on names, I don't care. As long as hubby and I love it that's what matters because it's our child. I've had a few eye brows raise at Amelia which I found shocking, but I don't care. That's what girls name I want so they can stuff it.
How do you raise an eyebrow at Amelia!!!! Lol to each their own i guess that names classic

I love unisex names.. if they are unisex.. naming a child a name from the other gender just to be "different" is not good in my Opinion.

I don`t think having a unisex name matters much these days

How do you raise an eyebrow at Amelia!!!! Lol to each their own i guess that names classic

Who knows, people are crazy. I know MIL didn't seem to tickled when I said Amelia but whatever, as you said, to each their own:shrug:

Who knows, people are crazy. I know MIL didn't seem to tickled when I said Amelia but whatever, as you said, to each their own:shrug:

I guess that's no different really than my naming my daughter Anna.. again.. of all names.. Can't please everyone! :haha: Amelia is beautiful, cute nn if wanted as well

my issue is that im not keen on this modern thing of calling boys names unisex and giving them to girls as first/main names and then the parents get mad when we say he if the names written down example:

Dylan Addams
Jonah Addams
Maxwell Addams

or giving your daughter 2 masculine names *cringe*, example:

Logan Mika Addams
Tristan Drew Addams
Parker James Addams

^ I have seen all of these used on girls (surname made up randomly here) and these get called unisex but are not unisex names they are plain and simply masculine... the argument that someone famous did it does not change this

I like what where masculine names but are now classed famine (due to situations like the above) used in their original correct way for boys, examples:

Jesse Dana Addams
Leslie Levi Addams
Vivian McKenzie Addams
Ashley Alison Addams

which now seem more odd to people than giving a girl a clearly masculine name

using a sex specific first and masculine for middle names doesn't bother me anywhere near as much (in fact I kind of like it) as it can have family meaning or just flow and is less likely to cause confusion, example:

Sara Lewis Addams
Kathrine Noah Addams

there aren't many actual unisex names though really

just saw the Amelia thing and it always raises my eyebrow...

why name you child after a medical condition/famous mass murderer?

just seems like people pick it for sounding pretty without any research and it has TONNES of bad connotations, to me its as bad as calling your kid chlamydia or Hitler - sorry if that is your child's name and you love it and this upsets you but I just thought id explain why some people find it weird

if the op is referring to the name Casey (which keeps popping up) then personally I think of it a masculine as I dated a boy called Casey (he was the laid back skateboarder type and it suited him)

Genuine unisex names are fine although not usually my cup of tea (Jordan, Morgan etc) I think one problem is we will always perceive them as either masculine or feminine depending on which gender we've met with the names...For example, I know a male Jordan, which makes it feel like a man's name to me. Morgan also seems masculine, as does Riley.

Adopting a name from the opposite gender just to make a statement...Not cool if you ask me. I always suspect the parent wanted the other gender and couldn't let go. I also think it's a bit mean...Think "A boy named Sue". To me, it's no better if it's a girl named Steven.

I decided against a unisex name for him, when his name is written i want it clear thT he is a boy!!! In a petty way it makes me mad that girls keep stealing good boys names!!!! :haha:
Were going with our very first gut instincts, the only name that feels right in every sense, Carter. :)

Ive never heard of any bad toes to amelia or especially a mass murderer? :shrug: its never even popped up while zearchimg the name? That must be more location specific. I wouldnt let that change my opinion i dont think anybody where i live knows about that we have a toddler amelia in the family, never heard anything but pos feedback it is still a classic imo.

my issue is that im not keen on this modern thing of calling boys names unisex and giving them to girls as first/main names and then the parents get mad when we say he if the names written down example:

Dylan Addams
Jonah Addams
Maxwell Addams

or giving your daughter 2 masculine names *cringe*, example:

Logan Mika Addams
Tristan Drew Addams
Parker James Addams

^ I have seen all of these used on girls (surname made up randomly here) and these get called unisex but are not unisex names they are plain and simply masculine... the argument that someone famous did it does not change this

I like what where masculine names but are now classed famine (due to situations like the above) used in their original correct way for boys, examples:

Jesse Dana Addams
Leslie Levi Addams
Vivian McKenzie Addams
Ashley Alison Addams

which now seem more odd to people than giving a girl a clearly masculine name

using a sex specific first and masculine for middle names doesn't bother me anywhere near as much (in fact I kind of like it) as it can have family meaning or just flow and is less likely to cause confusion, example:

Sara Lewis Addams
Kathrine Noah Addams

there aren't many actual unisex names though really

Agreed, i def prefer gender specific names. That being said even the slightest "caseys a girl name" feedback makes the nMe seem more fitting as a nickname to me. Were going with our 1st gut instinct n ill call him casey as a nn if i feel like i should cause im giving birth to him and can. :) thanks! :flow:

I'm Toni, a fairly common unisex name. People still, 8 times out of 10, expect me to be male on hearing my name though. I honestly don't care! A girly girly name really would not suit me at all!

My son is named Jamie. I also really liked Riley when I had him and did consider it. But then I've only ever met male Riley's and Jamie's, so to me it is definitely a boys name. The spelling Jaime is more feminine, but even then I still think it's more of a boys name.

There are so many pretty names for girls, I don't understand why people name their daughters boys names! I also always think 'did you want a boy really and couldn't let go of the name?!'.

I'm Toni, a fairly common unisex name. People still, 8 times out of 10, expect me to be male on hearing my name though. I honestly don't care! A girly girly name really would not suit me at all!

I should rephrase, I like truly unisex names on girls only, as girls are more versatile! I am, however, not a fan of it on boys? Idk if that's sexist? lol

I know I don't mind, and many other females don't mind so much - but boys have egos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->