2 hour flight at 37 weeks?

SWlady

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

My best friend just got engaged and I'm thinking about surprising her by flying down for her engagement party. Unfortunately, the weekend it falls on would be when I hit 37 weeks. I live in Seattle and she lives in SF, so it's a 2 hour flight.

Thoughts? Is this too close to my due date?

I checked with the airline (Virgin America) and they will allow you to fly up to a week before your due date.

Thanks in advance!

I think you're ok being that if this is your 1st you probably won't go into labor but even if you did you'd most likely make it until you landed, so I think the real question is if you're ok with the possibility of having your baby there ;) I doubt it and id say go ahead esp if you have a normal pregnancy :)

I always thought after 36 weeks you couldn't fly.

I did too, so was very surprised to see that VA lets you fly up to a week before your due date. They'll even let you closer if you have a dr's note!

I think it would be fine. I drove a 10 hour round trip at 38 weeks with my last bub.

One of my reference books advises against it quite strongly! You should probably check with your OB/midwife, to be sure, and do a little quick research into nearby facilities around your destination as a "just in case." :)

See if your doctor will check you to see if your cervics is still closed and what not, even tho that doesn't mater sometimes. I'd be very cautious.

I'd go for it. I know you can't fly past 36 weeks internationally and after 28 weeks a doctors note is needed, but all the major airlines are ok with 37 weeks within the U.S. I flew in my 30s both internationally and within the U.S. - it's fine! The way I see it, the further along you are the better in a way. Going into labour at 28 weeks on a flight would be scary, but at 37 weeks most likely the baby will be fine and it will have a cool birth story! Plus if you did have your baby there you wouldn't be stuck for months with a preemie :)

Statistically your chance of going into labour at 37 weeks is tiny. I think if you have researched where you would need to go (just in case) you should be fine.

Thanks ladies!! I'm still debating, but going to have a convo with my midwife before deciding. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->