2 week old drank 6 oz of breast milk?

Gradgirl

Reaction score
Is this normal? My baby was born weighing 9 lbs 1 oz and I'm not sure that it is normal that she drank this amount of expressed breast milk? She drank 3.5 oz and then 30 mins later 2.5 oz. She has been fighting a cold and I thought maybe she was drinking more to maybe boost her immune system. Help?

That's fine. Bf babies rarely overeat. Lo will only take as much as she needs.

Babies on expressed milk can over eat quite easily, mostly due to the fast flow of the teat (even the slowest possible flow), they can control how much they drink much easier from the breast. This more or less can have them take them a short while to realise that they're full.

Typically babies will gives cues to show when they are full, but not always. My DS only ever showed finished cues in his first week, then it disappeared entirely. He would just continue to drink until the point where he would just sick up most of his milk.

Since your little one had a break between feeds, then she likely did indeed get hungry again, could be heading towards her first cluster feed which happens around now :)

I'd class that as 2 feeds. My 3 and a half month old will only take 3-4oz BM from a bottle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->