2 year old driving me nuts!

lewiscro

Reaction score
I have 3 children, a 6 year old boy, 2 year old boy and 1 year old girl. My 6 year old has autism and although his behaviour can be difficult he never went through the typical terrible 2 stage. My 2 year old is such hard work, screaming (so loud my neighbour can hear through the wall), hitting, throwing, pushing his little sister over, pulling hair etc. This is all day everyday but today has been hell. His speech is developing well (unlike my 6 year old who had no language until a few months ago) but he is so combative. Is this normal 2 year old behaviour? He can be sweet and cuddle but only on his terms.

Yeah welcome to the terrible twos. Although I must admit the 3s are worse. So enjoy him being two whilst it lasts.

What an unsupportive reply. Way to kick someone while they're down, telling someone at their wits end that it'll get worse!

I really feel for you OP. It sounds so tricky to deal with. Have you spoken with a hv? I think if it's all day everyday then there might be something going on - unwell, allergy maybe? Are there any triggers? Perhaps it's a bit of jealousy if his siblings get a lot of attention due to their age and needs? I wonder if you have anyone who could help out for a while so you could have some one on one time with your two year old?

We had a difficult few months with DD2 she will be 3 in a few weeks . Just general messing , being very loud , not listening etc had to have eyes in the back of my head ! She’s calmed down a lot now. I know you said his speech is developing well , but can he ask you for things he wants etc if they are unable to communicate this he may be getting frustrated ( sorry if this is not the case just putting suggestions ) have you tried time outs / a safe calm down space when he gets too much ? I’ve found taking DD2 out of the situation helps a lot .

Does he go to nursery ?

It does get better with time hang in there !

I'm sorry you're going through this. Age two can be a difficult age where they are trying to assert their independence but don't always know how to communicate what they want. My two year old is very difficult at times with tantrums. A calm down spot is a good idea :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->