• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

20 week scan showed a single umbilical artery (SUA)

Dreamer320

Mommy & Preggers <3
Reaction score
Hi girls,

Went for my 20 week scan today and baby looked great. Transverse position but measuring right on time. I thought everything was good until the tech said "the doctor will be in to scan you"

My heart sank.

Immediately my joy of being told I was having a little girl was overshadowed by anxiety and fear.

The doctor tried explaining to me about SUA and what it means . The umbilical cord normally has 3 vessles but my baby girls has two, only one artery. Usually this is a "marker" for other problems or defects but baby showed no sign of anything wrong and my integrated screening blood work came back negative and real low risk for any chromosomal defects. The doctor stated it was an isolated case and not related to anything else.

I left with so many questions and of course I came home and googled. That can be a good and bad thing.

Do you have any experience with this issue ? Some help/support is much needed!

Thanks

Hi Dreamer. I also had that with my daughter. It was only picked up at her birth, and the pediatrician only mentioned it the following day. They did do a scan of her kidneys and other organs in her stomach when she was 2 days old but no problems were found. It can be a marker for genetic abnormalities, but not always. My doctor said it is becoming more common and they actually think it is a sign of evolution.

My sister had that with one of my nieces--it was only discovered in her third trimester. She went in for a scan because she was having some spotting. My niece is now a perfect, beautiful, athletic, sassy six year old. : )

Big hugs--that would be very unnerving, and I'm praying everything turns out perfectly for you and your baby girl!!

Thank you so much for sharing your stories! It definitely is comforting when all I can do is wait for my next appt . :flower:

I was looking for this topic on a post because the same thing happened with me. They also could not get a good view of his heart so I go back tomorrow for another scan. I hope evrything is still going well for your little one.

Hi hun- laying in hospital getting induced now! Not for the SUA, but for high blood pressure. I am 37 weeks exactly.

Try your absolute best not to stress out over the umbilical cord - I will update when I can on how my daughter is .

the Internet is scary when it comes to researching medical issues. My case looks isolated and I hope yours turns out that way as well :hugs:

I was so stressed out as you can tell from my original post but talking to doctors and nurses it is way more common than I thought.

All of the extra ultrasounds help ease any fears as well.

Just an update for anyone who happens to find this thread in the future.

My baby girl was born 37 weeks gestation weighing in 6lbs 8oz. I was induced and had a normal vaginal delivery.

She is PERFECT!!!!! We only had to spend 24 hours at the hospital and we were able to go home.

All that worrying over a two vessle cord turned out to be a bunch of wasted energy.

I know it's hard as mothers to worry and not fear the worst but please put the trust into your doctors and not Google!!

Another healthy SUA baby is born :cloud9:

Oh bless you for coming back to update ..... And congratulations! So so happy for you! Xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->