3 month old with no pattern to feeds still

Katteh

Reaction score
My little man has always been a very fussy feeder, and has only recently started being slightly less fussy, but he still won't take much in one feed.

He will feed for 5-10 minutes at a time, then refuse anymore, then before his next nap (generally about an hour later) he will take more as he feeds to sleep for naps. He then has more roughly 3 hours after the initial feed. I had him on bottles of expressed milk last week (lactation consultants advice) to see if it was my supply/letdown or something or just him, and he would take 2-2.5 ounces at most at once so it seems to just be the way he is.

Has anyone else had this, if so, when did it get better? Because I am always full in the morning, his feeds never entirely empty my breasts so I feed him twice on one side, and even then I rarely feel he has taken all of the side.

Don't be surprised if he's not showing much consistency. DS would feed every 45 mins sometimes until he was 4 months, which was when I started noticing a pattern. That was also when my supply regulated for the first time. With DD now, she's 4 months and my breasts have just stopped leaking.

Give it another month!

Thanks, that's good to know! Interesting about supply too as mine hasn't regulated either. I do sometimes worry he isn't getting enough of the fattier milk as he doesn't manage to finish a side a lot of the time.

Hopefully another month and he will have more of a pattern!

Have you tried burping him in the middle of the feed? Some babies need it a lot more than others, we discovered with DS!

Yeah I always burp him and he brings up huge amounts of wind. I think his problem is how distracted he always is, he is far too interested in looking around than eating, made worse by having a noisy 3 year old around!

I could have written your post. I'll be following with interest to see other opinions.

I feel your pain! I have a four month old and there is absolutely no pattern whatsoever to his feeds! Sometimes he'll only feed for 5 minutes then be hungry again within a couple of hours. I also have a 2 yr old and any slight noise she makes he'll pop up to have a look and there goes the feed! I made the mistake of trying out the routine of 4months-4hours in the baby whisperer book where she basically tells you to hold them off 4 hours between feeds and be strict with it! It was a disaster because my LO would only feed for 5/10 minutes and to expect him to then go 4 hours till the next feed was ridiculous. No matter how hard I try to extend feeds I cant - he decides how long he feeds for and that's about it!! I will be interested to see any advice from others here!

I feel your pain with distractions, if my 3 year old makes any noise then he is looking up and around and won't feed anymore. He is so stubborn about taking more than 5 mins unless he is tired in which case it takes forever as he is feeding whilst half asleep, joy!

No advice really but all of mine have been the same, particularly my youngest two... I say they're grazers, just have little and often. I breastfeed my almost 7 month old and only now she's on food as well as milk have I noticed a very slight pattern to her feeds. My 3 year old doesn't breastfeed but even now is a grazer really.

So no advice other than just to relax and go with it, my supply regulated around 3-4 months so I didn't get the full feeling any more and my little ladies have thrived feeding this way. Just makes it slightly harder to go out etc 9 times out of 10 I need to breastfeed at some point. X

My 15 month old still has no pattern to feeding lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"