3 sucks and off..

callmedan

Reaction score
been weaning from nipple shields and so far doing well though it is very tricky!

baby will feed great lying down, takes a couple of go's at latching and i have to sandwich nipple into her mouth but she gets on really well and empties breast
when trying cross cradle hold she will latch really well getting on but after 3 sucks its like she lets go with her lips, especially her top lip
i assume this is a latch problem but as the feed progresses (sometimes up to 20 minutes in) she will latch and stay on till the end of the feed

has anyone had this problem? how do you keep baby latched on? when i keep my nipple sandwiched she can usually stay on for longer

I really want to reply to you but I'm not sure what you are describing. Are you saying she comes off entirely after three sucks and then it takes 20 minutes to get her back on, or she feeds for 20minutes and then lets go???

She will latch, suck 3 times, swallow and then let go of the nipple, then I reletch her and it starts again
Usually after 20ish minutes she will latch and stay latched, think its when my breast starts to soften she stays latched on
We did have a good long feed tonight latched straight on though :happydance:

Is she maybe deliberately taking herself off because of fast letdown/oversupply of milk? If so, as your supply starts to regulate (between now and 3months) it may be easier for her to cope. Other strategies if this is the case are encouraging more frequent feeding, positions where milk has to fight gravity to leave the breast (such as reclined/laid back feeding or side lying), or even letting down in to a cloth before latching.

She might prefer laying down because of a fast flow. My lo is the same. When in his side he can let excess milk dribble out of his mouth better ajn the flow just seems less aggressive. He does better in a cradle hold when he is completely on his side with his tummy against mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->