31 wks and now high risk - advice please

thentherewere

Reaction score
Hi all {sorry in advance for the essay},

I moved house which meant we have changed PCTs late on in the pregnancy. My 'early pregnancy' bloods had to be repeated and I was referred to an obstetrician to review my risk level. My pregnancy has been very smooth so far {ignoring heartburn, lack of sleep, sciatica and SPD lol}. But several years ago I had an episode of chronic headaches and migraines due to a neurological problem. However, I was immediately taken off the medication which had caused the problem and had treatment for around a year to get the headaches/migraines sorted. The whole thing has now been stable for the last 3 years ish.

The old PCT had reviewed my notes and agreed I was low risk. So the appointment today, in my mind, was just administration really. However, the new PCT has decided that they think due to this issue I should be low risk and want me to see a neurologist in the next week or two to be re-reviewed ahead of the birth. Obviously being high risk means I can't have a home birth but also they are suggesting the midwife-led unit isn't appropriate either and that I should be on labour ward. Not really sure what best to do as I don't want to go against their advice but I had really hoped for a natural, water-based, birth.

So I have 2 questions:

- would you push to be allowed to deliver in the midwife-led unit?

- what can I do to make sure I have the natural birth I want even if I'm on labour ward?

Amy x

hi didnt want to read and run but i dont have any really good advice as ive only ever delivered on labour wards, however I am pretty sure you can still have a water birth in the labour suite. Also if this is your first baby, with your previous problems being quite severe I wouldnt push for the birthing center, for your own safety and that of your LO. Just take stuff in your birthing bag like music and comfy cushions and such and by the time your pushing you wont care where the hell you are ;). If it isnt your first then just stamp your feet a bit seeing as you have done it before and been fine.
Sorry I know this wasnt much help lol, wishing you the best xoxoxo

I'd be asking them to explain exactly what they percieve the 'risks' to you and the unborn baby are due to your previous condition. You might even find the neurologist has no issues with a MLU or homebirth. Odd how the previous area you booked in had no issues, then all of a sudden a new unit decides you are High Risk even though from your post nothing has changed in your health or history since your original booking.

Thanks, really good points to ask about. Going to see what the neurologist says and then will see what I can negotiate with the consultant. I agree it is strange the very different approach, would understand if high blood pressure or headaches/migraines had been an issue in pregnancy but they haven't been. Heyho x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->