3day old wants to feed all night

Claire788

Mum to Gorgeous boy!
Reaction score
Hi mums, apologies I'm writing this at 3am! DD was born monday and wed and tonight has wanted to feed from about 9pm-3am constantly. Will be constantly off and on the boob once the initial feed is done. I just cracked and have her some formula through my SNS thinking that would fix it so I could get a break - but apparently not.

I have no idea how to deal with this.. Eap when I'm up in 2 hours to start the school run....

She slept ALL day and I had to wake her for feeds!!

Is this normal?

Yes, very normal, she's trying to bring your milk in. Unfortunately not a lot of advice other than just hang in there and it will start to calm down a bit in a few weeks.

Weeks! Oh gawd!!!! But thanks for the reply!!! :)

I've been bf for 10 weeks now and I vividly remember that day 3 - 4 were absolutely brutal!! It felt like it was never going to end, then baby had trouble latching as I was engorged and he getting frantic, I was crying, it was awful! BUT it did pass, and yeah it's completely normal.

Hang in there it will pass, really feel for you having to get up to do school run:hugs:

This is very normal and good for you if you plan on breastfeeding! You need to feed her whenever she wants, around the clock. Especially at night, to build up your supply.

For the first two weeks, my baby fed every hour-hour and a half around the clock. Between 2-4 weeks of age, she fed every three hours at night after 10pm. So 10pm. 1am.4am. And she pretty much still feeds like that, and she is 3.5 months old. But its good to feed through the night, especislly if you go back to work. Keeps your supply from dropping! And is a natural birth control if you feed every 2-3 hours.

The first 2 weeks are absolutely brutal. The engorged breasts, swollen red dry nipples. Ugh! But it does get better! :)

Thanks guys, makes me feel loads better!! Will persevere!! Thanks :):)

I know how you feel. DD2 was like this when we first came home and its HARD work. Keep at it and it eventually slows down although don't think it will go away just yet. DD has some 'booby' days when she is on all the time and some 'sleepy' days when she is asleep a lot.
When I struggled with being up all night a friend suggested swaddling and it helped loads. She now goes 3-4 hours between feeds at night which is lovely (although a feed takes a hour or so with nappy change, cuddles etc)

My dd is almost 4 month and has been cluster feeding 3am-7pm since she was 1 month old so I know how exhausting it can be. Everyday I sterilise the bottles just incase I crack up but so far they are still in the steriliser lol I also gave 16 month old to entertain all day so I don't even get to sleep then too. The upside though she only feeds for 10 mins 3-4 times a day so leaves me plenty of time to play with my todler! Even though im tired I prefer it this way :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->