4 month old screaming at breast?

paintrider89

Reaction score
My baby is 4 months old, and just now while attempting to BF she would latch, let go and scream and cry and carry on, latch again and pull away and cry. Rinse and repeat.... I tried her both sides for 10 min. And I am now warming her up a bottle, but I am puzzled.she has been BF all morning and afternoon , business as usual. I checked to see if my boobs were empty (do they get empty?) And they shot a cross the room, plenty of BM. So I'm stumped?

They don't technically get empty but I've heard midwives tell women they do. Is it only at night? Does she have colic? Is it just wind? My LO tries to feed when he has wind and it took me a while to realise this was what he was doing.
You say you are warming a bottle, does she take that without a problem?

If bm shot across the room, I'd bet you had a fast let down/over supply which scared her. Maybe? I'm a FTM so I don't have much experience ;)

Could she be teething? The sucking can hurt their gums if teething, so I'm told.

It could also be trapped wind.

I had the same at that age. Not sure what the reason was, some say it's because they become more aware. What worked for me was to feed immediately after nap or when he was tired and about to nap.

I've no advice but my LO is only a week younger than yours and is going through a very fussy phase too. He won't settle for a feed at all at the moment. :(

If you suspect over supply or fast flow you could express a little first. This won't reduce the oversupply but it may help her feed and you can store what you express. I do that sometimes as I have fast flow on the left side but that's the one he latches on best to!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->