4 week old gaining 4oz a week

justkitty

First Time Mum
Reaction score
I got my dd weighed for the first time today since being discharged from midwife care. She has gained 1lb so averaging 4oz a week. This seems a bit low.

She feeds regularly but is a little and often kind of girl. I startrf expressing yesterday to help build supply and a freezer stash. Should I try using it ti supplement instead?

Supplement by all means if that's what you want to do but you certainly don't need to. 4oz a week is just fine. Has she gained 1lb since you were discharged or 1lb since birth? Or 1lb from her lowest weight? Supplementing is fine if you want to combi feed (I did it) but if you want to EBF then stick with it. Sounds like you're doing a great job! X

My public health nurse actually told me that they look for at least a 4oz gain a week so sounds fine to me.

Ah ok. I thought it was low but if it's fine I'll keep going. Thanks ladies.1lb since discharge. Hmmm so maybe that's 22oz in total including regain after birth. Didn't think of it like that.

They allow them 2 weeks to regain birthweight so that is really like 1lb gain in 2 weeks which is excellent. My son was 400g up on his birthweight by 4 weeks. When I figured it out he had gained 7oz a week including in the process of gaining back lost birthweight and he continued to gain the same amount for a good few weeks now it is more like 3-4oz a week. Out of all my kids at the same age he is the second heaviest now xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->